Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  27 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

what questions to include in a questionnaire on electric m

what questions to include in a questionnaire on electric motor
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello Simon...........my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!

1) There are numerous types of electric motors that are available. Common types of questions to ask of any electric motor are as follows:

• Horsepower
    Motor Manufacurer
    Motor Model Number
    Schematic Wiring Diagram of the Motor
  • RPM's
  • Nameplate Rating of the Motor
  • Full Load Current rating of the motor
  • Frequency of the Motor (50 hertz, 60 hertz)
  • Voltage of the Motor (AC or DC), How many volts?
  • AC Motor Voltage (Single Phase, 3-Phase), How many volts?
  • Application where the motor will be used
  • Type of motor: Torque Motor, Cage Motor, Universal AC/DC Motor, Brushless DC Motor, Brushed DC Motor, Stepper Motor, Split Phase Capacitor Start Motor, Variable Frequency Drive Motor, Motor Controller, etc.

Hope this helps.........If you have any additional questions, let me know and I'll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don't forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at:http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician
..........Thanks..............Kevin!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can you be more relevant to a grade 8 school project

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

1) Simon..........as I mentioned in my previous reply, all electric motors have those items in common. Over the years, electric motors have even become a specialty area within the electrical industry due to the numerous available options, types, etc.

2) Can you provide me with the specific information that you are looking for on the school project and I can then narrow down the information?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We have constructed a motor wich is run by 2 1.5v batteries with a school project switch and have connected a small home made fan to be run by this motor.The teacher has then asked that we formulate a questionnaire to a couple of individuals who should test this project.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

1) Thanks for the replies Simon.

2) Depending upon the students knowledge and testing equipment available, some good questions to ask would be:

A) The rotation of the motor (clockwise or counterclockwise)

B) If the students and/or the teacher has experience using a voltmeter, they can measure the initial voltage of the batteries and/or the amperage upon the motor startup. For a brief second upon start-up, the motor will have a higher amperage. Once the motor is spinning, the amperage will level off. They can also notice the battery voltage will drop a little upon the motor start-up.

C) Voltage of the Motor will be DC due to the use of the batteries

D) Are the 2 batteries wired in parallel to form 1.5 volts or are they wired in series to form 3 volts DC? From a visual perspective, and once again if the students have knowledge of how batteries are wired, they can easily look at the batteries and determine if they are wired in parallel or in series.

E) Have the students explain that the fan is allowed to run by first converting electrical energy from the batteries and then converting the electrical energy into magnetic energy which the motor converts magnetic energy into mechanical energy which then converts the mechanical energy into wind energy of the fan.

Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience: 27 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
1) Another question to add would be have the students explain why the motor has a heat build-up after if has been running? This is due to the transfer of heat within the motor caused by the friction and mechanical energy of the magnets inside the motor case. The exterior case of the motor may be somewhat warm to the touch if running for a period of time.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Simon........Thank you for the positive rating...........much appreciated!

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Take care and have a great weekend...........Thanks..............Kevin!