AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

Im having a door installed on the back of my house. Its a

I'm having a door installed on the back of my house. It's a new install, so they are cutting a hole for it. The guy that came to double check measurements set the door opening at 8 inches from the meter box. Now, that offsets the door inside too much. We'd like him to move it to 4 inches from the meter. Is their a guideline or NEC rule on this? We are in Kansas, City of Wichita.
Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

NEC has no issue with the installation, it only requires clearances on electrical equipment in providing free working space, 36" in front, 30" side to side or the width of the equipment and 6'6" in height for clearances, all doors must open to minimum 90 degrees

Now, with that said, Utility owned meter location and specifications can be dictated by the serving utility.
They can impose any regulations/requirements they wish.

I do not know your utility provider, but usually a simple phone call to them answers the questions.
I do not see where there would be an issue, but there are thousands of providers and all have their requirements/restrictions.

Be glad to try and find yours if provided the utility company

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Our utility is Westar Energy.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX a little time to check with their requirements/restrictions.
Post shortly
thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. FYI - the doors will swing in, not outside, so the door would never interfere with the meter.

It appears that they use the standard NEC free space as well.

So, it is critical in their specifications, that a door NOT swing in front of the meter.

I see you posted the door swings inward so that is not an obstruction, but just like a continuous wall
If the door swings inward, then there should be no issue, but outward, it would conflict.

This is their statement:
METER ENCLOSURE TO BE LOCATED SO THAT IT SHALL BE CLEAR OF SWINGING DOORS AND
SO THAT THE SERVICE CABLE SHALL NOT CROSS IN FRONT OF WINDOWS DR OTHER OPENINGS.
METER ENCLOSURE SHALL BE LOCATED SUCH THAT IT IS FREE FROM OBSTRUCTIONS <E. G.
DOORS AND WINDOWS), 3FT SIDE TO SIDE, AND 3FT IN FRONT OF METER ENCLOSURE

Here is their printed requirements posted:
CLICK HERE

Let me know if any other is needed, thanks