Rich, Master Electrician
Experience:  Over 35 years residential, commercial, industrial wiring, install, troubleshoot, service, maintain

have two wire in ceiling box, one white and one red. I am

Customer Question

have two wire in ceiling box, one white and one red. I am install a chandelier and it has a copper ground wire, a black wire and a white. How do I connect them as I have no ground or green wire?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.

Sparky :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to answer any of your electrical questions.

Sparky :

You would connect the white to white, black to black, and your ground wire (bare wire) you would connect to your metal box.

Sparky :

I just read that you have already tried that. Do you have a voltage tester?

Customer : No I have a red wire a white wire in the box.
Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.
Red would go to black, but since you alrady tried that, do you have a voltage tester?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Again NO no voltage test. but since I just blew a few I guess there is power

Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.
ok tell me what you did that made the fuse blow? If there is a red wire there, there needs to be a black wire as well, unless the wires are ran in pipe. Did the black touch the metal box, or the red? Did you reset the breaker. When you said no earlier, I thought you were explaining about not having a black wire. That's what your response reads like.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Never mind I will get a professional to do the work. Text does not work when trying to do electric

Expert:  Rich replied 3 years ago.
Hello .. we can walk and talk you thru this if you want .. just takes a few questions and your responses ./. there are only a couple ways to connect the wires and if you act as our eyes it will be a quick process