Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 45 years Experience
29848548

I have existing circuit box in cottage fed from 50 map breaker

I have existing circuit box in cottage fed from 50 map breaker in main house. I am installing electric sub meter to keep track of electrical use. I have removed leads to circuit box and connected to meter with return wires from meter connected where hot wires were removed.
How do I connect ground and or neutral connections in meter to circuit box? Besides grounding meter box is it necessary considering breaker box is all connected to neutral and grounded? Will it effect meter operation ?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. The meter can should have a termination for the neutral. Upload a picture for more specific directions
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience: Proven Professional 45 years Experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am not at meter property now to take pics I have 120 v coming into panel on 2 lines. (240) 1 line powers 2 breakers other line powers 1 breaker. Just refrigerator, tv and small kitchen appliances used in cottage.

I have removing those hot lines to connect to top 2 nuts in meter. Wires on bottom 2 nuts of meter will enter circuit box and be installed on hot side of bus bar. (Where I removed hot lines)

I am wondering does ground wire on meter just need to be wired to neutral bus bar of breaker box. Will meter read as long as the line in and line out are connected? Hope this makes sense

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Where did you get the meter? Having s sub feed means that there should be 4 wires. 2 hots, 1 neutral & 1 ground. You should be using a sub meter with CT's on the wires. From what you stated, it sounds like you have an old utility Meyer which is ahead of the main service equipment only needing 3 wires

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am in Hawaii on Big Island not far from 3rd world living in some areas. This area where meter is just got electric power about 8-10 yrs ago. I live off grid at my house. What I saw in breaker box was 2 hot wires something like 6/0 wire (over kill I am sure) and 3 breakers then neutral and ground wires coming in to grnd bus bar from circuits

I am just wondering if I only need the hot wires through meter to make it work.

One line to hot side of 1 breaker and other hot line to the 2 breakers as they were connected before.

I know this is not run of the mill set up.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Being a sub feed you're metering the hots will be on the top lugs that connect to the upper jaws for the Meter. The lower lugs have the sites yo the sub panel main breaker. There should be a pair of lugs that the ground will connect to and the neutral is isolated to itself

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ground is one nut with 2 sides in base of meter. I believe you have validated my ideas of how to connect meter. Will be at property shortly. Wish me luck LOL

Thank you very much. conrad

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. Let me know if you need further assistance.