Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 45 years Experience

I bought an old farm, which has several outbuildings. Power

I bought an old farm, which has several outbuildings. Power goes to the first building via an overhead line, and then down to a sub-panel. That's just fine.
However, I would like to re-connect the power to building #2, which had power bu tthe overhead line was cut. I've managed to re-hang the line, but discovered that the power comes via a cable which appears to have 7 strands of steel in a plastic jacket. How can I connect this to building #2, which has no sub-panel?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you.

1) What are the loads in Bldg #2?

2) What's the distance between the bldgs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There are about 8 circuits there - I think 5 are 20 amp and 3 are 15. I don't believe these are connected however, as there is one of these overhead lines going to building #1, and another which continued on to buildings 2 and 3.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
You'll need a sub panel in Bldg #2. Usually there is a farm pole to which the service is distributed to the number of building rather than jumping from one to the other.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you just explain what you mean by "farm pole?"

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
You would set a Utility pole like there is at the road. From that pole the overhead feeders to each building would originate. On the Pole would be a Combo Meter Loadcenter for the overcurrent protestion to the property. It would be located to allow for the shortest distances to each building. Generally there would also be a dusk to dawn light on the pole.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, but one more question. The pole and the dawn-to-dusk light are there , though I don't see anything that looks like a load center. However, even with that set-up, you are saying I would still need a subpanel in building 2, is that right? if so, how did it get power before with no subpanel?

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Illegaly and not code compliant. Many farms are wired by the owners and many don't have the knowledge and don't ask how to do it right. I can tell you why it's right but not why it's wrong.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience: Proven Professional 45 years Experience