Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I need to hook up a whirlpool electric oven. I am going to

I need to hook up a whirlpool electric oven. I am going to run a separate line for 220v with a 20 amp breaker as whirlpool advises. Problem is that I always run 220 with 12/2 wire and the oven has three wires (red, black, white and bare ground) How do I connect that to 12/2? And if I use 12/3 where do I connect the white wire on my circuit breaker?

Hello Anthony.........my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!

1) Are you sure that the oven requires only a 20 amp double pole breaker for the 240 VAC line feed? Most ovens require a 50 amp circuit breaker. Can you double check the nameplate rating located on the back of the oven? The amperage should be located on the nameplate.

2) What is the approximate distance from your main electrical panel to the oven area?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The installation manual states: "Models rated at 4.8kW and below at 240volts (3.6kW and below at 208 volts) require a separate 20 amp circuit. They also stated to use 12 gauge wiring.

12 feet from panel to oven

1) Thank you for the replies Anthony.

2) Applying Watts Law where P = I x E, solve for I. 4800 watts = I x 240 volts, therefore I = 4800/240 = 20 amps

3) Therefore you will need a 20 amp double pole breaker using 12 AWG copper. Code now requires range circuits to be a 4 wire circuit. You will need 12/3 Romex with a ground (total of 4 wires).

4) The voltage drop using 12 feet, 20 amps and 240 volts = .4 %. Code recommends a maximum VD % of 3%, therefore you are good to go on the wire size.

5) The 12/3 AWG Romex will terminate as follows: The black will terminate on one side of the 20 amp breaker, the red will terminate on the other side of the 20 amp breaker, the white will terminate onto the neutral bus bar in the panel and the bare copper will terminate onto an equipment ground bar inside the panel. The white does not land on the breaker, it will land on the neutral bus bar. You will require a NEMA 14-20R receptacle and a NEMA 14-20P plug.

Hope this helps.........If you have any additional questions, let me know and I'll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don't forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician
..........Thanks..............Kevin!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank You

I wasn't sure if I could connect the white wire to the neutral bar.

1) No problem Anthony............glad I could assist.

2) Yes the neutral is required at the neutral bus bar for the 120 volt portion of the circuit. 1 of the hots and the neutral will be used for the clock, timer, etc. The 2 hots (240 volt circuit) are only used for the heating elements.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at:http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician
..........Thanks..............Kevin!

Anthony.........Thank you for the excellent service rating as well as the bonus...............much appreciated!

If you have any other questions, just let me know and come back to this question.

Take care and have a great day...............Thanks...............Kevin!