DrSpark1
DrSpark1, Master Electrician
Experience:  35+ years as a Union Electrician
66069335

Our whole house fan wont work from the wall switch. It just

Our whole house fan won't work from the wall switch. It just hums. I figure it's the primary winding. It will work with a pull on the belt with the wall switch on. Oddly it will occasionally come on normally using the wall switch. Internal motor switch?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you The humming is an indication of a bad start capacitor or a loose connect causing a lower voltage. From your statement I would say it was the latter. Also a bad switch could be the problem.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience: Proven Professional 45 years Experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bad switch where? In the motor or wall. Also, we at times loose power in the neighborhood. The fan always comes back on without pulling the belt.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
check all switches and the t-stat at the unit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I wouldn't think it was the wall switch since it makes its connection every time. There is no thermostat. So, I guess it's the start capacitor, motor switch, or loose connection. BUT, what about it sometimes working and when the fan has been off due to a power failure, it always starts fine when the power comes back on? The first might spell bad connection, but what about the latter?

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Wire heats up when there is a load on it, it expands. it cools and contracts when there is no current. This action is what makes and breaks a bad connection. It could be the terminations or splices. You need to check everything.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm trying to get my fan to work. I already knew that I could check everything, I didn't need an expert to tell me that.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Obviously I'm not able to satisfy yoi. Good Luck, II'I'lI'lI'llI'llI'll oopoptopt ooioioitout.
Expert:  DrSpark1 replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have read your question and understand. It definitely sounds like an internal issue with the motor. From your description when the motor does not move and hums you can get it going by pulling the belt or physically turning the motor. Sometimes it operates normally all are signs of a marring in the windings. The motor being 110V will have two sets of windings that will spin as the voltage alternates changing the polarity of its casing. If the marred winding is positioned one way it will have resistance through the winding, but when you turn it passed that point it has a path of least resistance to function. The starting capacitor acts much like this and is the cheaper of the two evils to replace and check off possible suspect. Ceiling fans probably will cost the same if you got the motor fixed and thats you doing the disassembling and reassembling. I have never encountered a switch that sometime worked, meaning if they break they stop functioning or flicker between 100% to 0% voltage if loose or broXXXXX XXXXXnkages are moving inside making and breaking contact. Which as I stated is not common. I will be happy to instruct you in any troubleshooting techniques bypassing switches to eliminate possibilities but have a feeling as to what we will find. standing by if you have need of any further assistance.
DrSpark1, Master Electrician
Experience: 35+ years as a Union Electrician
Expert:  DrSpark1 replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am following up regarding your ceiling fan problem. were you able to repair it or did it need to be replaced? Ironically a couple weeks later my bedroom fan showed very similar symptoms and we had to put er down lol. I look forward to hearing from you about this and any other home Improvement/Electrical questions you may have.

Attentively yours,
Mike C.