Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

Hello I would like to know how to hook up 60 amp electricity

Hello I would like to know how to hook up 60 amp electricity to a detached garage. Specifics I would like to know. Exactly what 60 amp panel to use. Preferably cutler hammer because I have breakers for this. What wire to use (direct burial or conduit), and what size breaker to hook up to in my 200 amp main panel (plenty of room). The garage currently has overhead service and a very old box.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. You new 4 conductors, 2 hots,1 neutral and a ground for the sub feed. 1 1/2 inch PVC with a #2 Quad URD cable to you 60A Main Breaker Sub Panel. You'll need to drive a ground rod with a #6 copper ground wire.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can I direct bury the #2 quad urd or must it go in pvc? What size breaker at the 200 amp main panel in the house. Thanks!

The PVC is not required nut I suggest using it. Otherwise you have to envelope the cable with sand. Doing it without PVC makes the cable subject to failure do to ground conditions. I always run pipe.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The breaker size in the house?

The wire is good for up to 100A. The breaker in the house and the main in the garage should match.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok. Sorry, last question. Could I just re-use the 100 amp breaker box that was taken out when I switched to 200 amp. I would use a 100 amp breaker in the house, #2quad wire in pvc and the 100 amp breaker box?

Thanks again.

Yes, you can.