Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

Im trying to set up my outdoor lighting using Lutron RadioRa2,

I'm trying to set up my outdoor lighting using Lutron RadioRa2, The components are, Pier Lights / Flagpole lights / Sconce lights / landscape lights. I'm assuming any components that I want to light separate from the rest need a RadioRa switch, I'm trying to figure out an alternative to running all the wiring back into the house into a switch box, I'd like to keep them outside and run One 20A line outside to light them all, instead of running all of them back into the house. Is there an outdoor enclosure that I can mount a Multi gang box of switches in?

Hello.....my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!

1) What is the quantity of switches that you are looking to install in the switch box?

2) Will the switches all be Single Pole Non-Decora type, ie, standard type of ON/OFF snap switch?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, there will be approximately 4-5 and they will be Decora type

1) Any chance of using a combo type of switch as shown in the pic below?

Leviton 15-Amp Combination Double Switch - White

2) You can use Decora type but you will need 2 separate boxes. If using a combo switch, you can fit them all into (1) one box using 2 of these types, thus providing 4 separate Single Pole switches.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, Lutron RadioRa2 has a very specific switch (similar to decora)

1) OK, I understand....... thanks for the reply.

2) Home Depot or Lowes only sells 2 gang weatherproof boxes. You would need (2) two of these for 4 decora type switches and (1) one single gang for a 5th decora type.

3) Or you could try a local electrical supply store. Most electrical supply stores carry these.Garvin Industries sells 3 gang weatherproof boxes. You could use 1 of these and the 2nd box can be a 2 gang to make up for 5 separate switches. Then just link the boxes together via EMT conduit.

Refer to the Garvin industries link below for boxes and covers:

http://www.garvinindustries.com/weatherproof-boxes-and-covers/two-gang-weatherproof-boxes

http://www.garvinindustries.com/weatherproof-boxes-and-covers/two-gang-weatherproof-box-covers/all-device-styles/wpcv2gfi

http://www.garvinindustries.com/weatherproof-boxes-and-covers/three-gang-weatherproof-boxes

4) Multi-gang weatherproof boxes are not as popular as indoor multi-gang switch boxes. Thus the reason for the gang limitations.

Hope this helps.........If you have any additional questions, let me know and I'll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don't forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at:http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician
..........Thanks..............Kevin!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the info, I'm looking for something bigger almost like an electrical panel. Something with a door and Lockable. Otherwise I'll go with something like the garvin. Thanks

1) Let me do some additional research for a lockable type of enclosure.

2) Are you in a hurry for this or can this wait till tomorrow possibly?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX surely wait until tomorrow. I'm going to bed! Thanks for the info so far

Thanks for the reply......I am going to my local electrical supply store tomorrow morning and I will ask what brands and sizes they carry. I will reply back to you tomorrow afternoon or early evening.

In the meantime, have a good evening and I'll talk to you tomorrow........Thanks.......Kevin!

1) Hello....... I went to my electrical supplier this morning and they are not aware of any manufacturer who provides a multi-gang lockable switch box that is NEMA 3 rated (outdoor weatherproof). I have been in the electrical business for over 30 years and the only weatherproof multi-gang switch boxes that I've seen are the one's manufactured by Garvin Industries or Bell that I mention last night. Bell is a division of RACO. Multi-gang NEMA 3 rated boxes are only common in the 2 or 3 gang versions. My electrical supplier has been in the business for almost 50 years and they pretty much sell anything electrical and they have never seen the type of box that you are looking for your application.

2) I searched the internet and I came up with one manufacturer who has lockable multi-gang switch boxes, but they are only rated for indoor use only since they have conduit knockouts and the door does not have a gasket type of seal on it.

Refer to the attached link:

http://www.douglaslightingcontrol.com/sites/default/files/A3d-Switch-Enclosures-WN-77xx.pdf

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician
..........Thanks..............Kevin!

Thank you for the excellent rating as well as the bonus...........much appreciated!

If you have any other questions, just let me know and reply back to this question.

Take care and have a great evening.............Thanks.................Kevin!