Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  28 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

What is the feasibility of installing an outside outlet on

What is the feasibility of installing an outside outlet on a mobile home by splicing in with an existing indoor outlet in front of the mobile home. How much should this cost if sol.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello.....my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!

1) Will the new exterior receptacle be back-to back from the interior receptacle?

2) Are you looking to have the new exterior receptacle installed directly on the outside skins of the mobile home or will the new receptacle be installed some distance away from the home?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is an existing outlet under a baywindow just a foot inside of the cutout of the window. I think it would be best to put the new outside outlet back to back to the existing one. The new outlet should be flush mounted with the skin of the wall.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply Paul.

1) Depending upon your area, a licensed electrician may charge anywhere from $65 to $100 per hour. Average hourly rate is around $75 to $80 per hour. I would figure 1 to 1 1/2 hours of labor and approximately another $30 to $35 in material. A ballpark price would be around $145, give or take a few bucks.

Hope this helps.........If you have any additional questions, let me know and I'll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don't forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician
..........Thanks..............Kevin!

Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience: 28 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Paul........ thank you for the excellent rating .............much appreciated!

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Take care and have a great evening...............Thanks...............Kevin!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was thinking .... what if I come direct from panel with all weather wire, string it under the trailer and make a new circuit. That way dont have to disturb existing wiring and can choose to place outside outlet more centered and lower on front face of trailer. Would not that be more straight forward and easier?

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

1) Hello Paul........yes, that would also work.

2) If using cable for under the trailer, it will need to be Underground Feeder cable (Type UF). Romex cable is not allowed outside since it is not rated as weatherproof for moist and damp conditions. If any portion of the UF cable is subject to physical damage, it will need to be protected by conduit. Also if the UF cable will be in the sun, it will need to be rated as Sunlight Protected.

Another option would be to use either gray electrical PVC conduit, Schedule 40 or EMT metal conduit. If using EMT metal conduit, the couplings and/or box connectors need to be compression type and not set screw type for weather purposes.

3) Since the receptacle will be outdoors, I would recommend using a 20 amp circuit breaker, 12 AWG copper wire, a 20 amp GFCI receptacle and an "in-use" weatherproof bubble cover. The receptacle box will need to be a weatherproof metal or PVC box for exterior conditions.

Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Paul...... thank you for the excellent service rating as well as the bonus......much appreciated!

If you have any follow-up questions, just reply back to this question. No need to generate a new question.

Take care and have a great day..............Thanks..............Kevin!