Rich
Rich, Master Electrician
Experience:  Over 35 years residential, commercial, industrial wiring, install, troubleshoot, service, maintain
5098113

Hi. I am removing a garbage disposal ( and not replacing it).

Hi. I am removing a garbage disposal ( and not replacing it). It is hardwired under sink with a dishwasher & GFIC outlet also, all coming into the box. I have removed the disposal line, leaving me with the two other at the box. One of the black wires is wirenutted together with the white from the other, and I have a black and white loose (after disconnection of disposal). I always thought that black to black, white to white, etc, was the rule. I guess my question is, can I just wirenut the black and white wires together that are hanging there?

Rich : Hello. Rich here lets see if we can get this figured out for you
Customer:

Hi

Rich :

you should leave all the existing connections as they are now

Rich :

the loose black and white that were connected to the disposal wire should be capped off using wire nuts ... but not connected together

Customer:

so just wirenut(cap them) singularly ? that doesn't pose a fire hazzard that they aren't connected to anything. I'm wondering then if my dishwasher & outlet will work ?

Customer:

If they were somehow tied together (although they have their own circuit breakers)???

Rich :

everything should work as it has before .. if no other connections were disturbed

Rich :

there is no fire hazard if the wires are terminated / capped individually

Customer:

ok. yes, nothing was disturbed. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX that

Rich :

you will create a dead short if they are connected together ,, and pop a breaker

Customer:

oh, ok. That was my main worry, if I connected them and flipped breaker, all hell would break loose

Rich :

the breaker would just snap off just as soon as you switched it on OK .. please take a minute to rate our exchange Thanks

Customer:

sure, have a good day