Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  27 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector

I need to connect a 220V parts washer to power, can I use some

I need to connect a 220V parts washer to power, can I use some existing spa tub wiring to run the parts washer? The washer has two black wires for phase and neutral plus a ground wire. The wires from the existing spa tub wiring are running off two 50A breakers and have a white, red, black and green wire coming out of the tube on the wall. Could this be made to work? if so, how? The parts washer was previously on two 50A breakers in my old shop. Now it is at my home.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello.....my name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!

1) Can you provide me with the nameplate rating of the motor? I either need the Full Load Current of the motor or the motor horsepower size?

2) What size are the conductors from the spa tub? 6 AWG Stranded Copper or 4 AWG Stranded Aluminum?

3) Will the parts washer be cord & plug connected or hard-wired?

4) What is the approximate distance from the electrical panel to where the parts washer will be installed?

5) Is the panel that will supply the parts washer a main electrical panel or a sub-panel?

6) What is the main breaker amperage size of either electrical panel? 100, 200 amps, etc?

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Tom..........Will the existing spa tub will no longer be used or are you looking at retaining the spa tub?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI Kevin, thanks for helping out!

Motor current rating is 26A at 110V/14A at 220V

Conductors are stranded copper, with outside diameter of each cable being 1/4"

Hardwired likely.

Approx 50' from main house panel which is a 200A item.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Tom..........Thanks for the replies.

1) Will the existing spa tub no longer be used or are you looking at retaining the spa tub?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good question, I like that you are checking thoroughly :-)

No, the spa tub is completely gone, the parts washer will be the only machine on this circuit.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

1) OK, very good........Yes, I ask many questions at times, but they are necessary.

2) The code requires that the conductors are to be sized at 125% of the Full Load Current. This results in 14 amps x 1.25 = 17.5 amps. Code also requires that the breaker be sized at 250% of the FLA = 14 amps x 2.5 = 35 amps. Since a 35 amp double pole breaker is not common, code allows to use the next standard size breaker which is a 40 amp double pole, 240 volt breaker. Based on 40 amps, the branch circuit conductors will need to be sized as 8 AWG stranded copper or 6 AWG Stranded aluminum. You will require 2 consecutive spaces either on the left or right hand side of your main electrical panel to accommodate the 40 amp double pole breaker. The neutral conductor going to the parts washer lands on the main neutral bus bar. The ground wire at the panel lands on an equipment grounding bar and not the neutral bar. If your panel does not have an equipment grounding bar, you can purchase one at any of the home improvement stores for around $5.

3) The voltage drop calculation based on a 40 amp load, 240 volt single phase supply @ a 50 foot run = 1.3% voltage drop or a loss of 3 volts. National Electrical Code recommends a voltage drop not greater than 3%. Therefore, you are OK to use either 8 AWG stranded copper or 6 AWG stranded aluminum.

4) Since the parts washer will be hard-wired, you will need a 240 volt double pole non-fused safety disconnect switch. The 2 hot wires (red & black) from the breaker will land on the LINE side of the disconnect switch. The LOAD side of the disconnect switch gets wired to the 2 hots of the parts washer. The neutral and ground wires DO NOT get wired to the safety disconnect switch, only the 2 hots.

A 40 amp safety disconnect switch is not a common switch, therefore, you can use a 60 amp rated 240 volt safety disconnect switch. Refer to the link below. Home Depot carries these as well as Lowes or any electrical supply store. The switch shown on the link below is rated for in-door use only.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-60-Amp-240-Volt-Non-Fuse-Indoor-Safety-Switch-TGN3322/100676700#.UdDWQ_ko59A

5) Since you have existing conductors from the old spa tub, just make sure they are the minimum size I mentioned above. if so, then you are good to go and can use the existing spa conductors.

6) If you will be installing conduit, let me know the size of the existing wires and I can provide you with the proper diameter of conduit to use.

Hope this helps.........If you have any additional questions, let me know and I'll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don't forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at:http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician
..........Thanks..............Kevin!

Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience: 27 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Tom..............Thank you for the positive rating service rating as well as the bonus..........much appreciated!

If you have any other follow-up questions, just reply back to this question and I'll be more than happy to answer them or assist you. No need to create a new question.

Take care and have a great evening.............Thanks..............Kevin!