Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector

I am a Licensed Electrical contractor but need help finding

I am a Licensed Electrical contractor but need help finding a couple codes.
We do water and fire restoration and get push back from insurance adjusters when we recommend that all devices be removed before drywall is replaced. On these jobs the demo crews just remove the drywall and the devices are still attached to the 1900 boxes. Then the insurance adjusters expect the drywallers to unscrew them and let them hang while they drywall...then screw them back into the 1900 boxes and put a cover on them. This obviously cuts the need for an electrician out of the equation and cuts their costs.
Where do I find a the code that says a drywaller is not qualified to mess with electric(inspect connections before reinstalling outlets) or even a code that states that outlets can not be installed prior to drywall.....thanks. name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!

1) The only article in the 2011 edition of the National Electrical Code that can be used as basis to keep the drywallers away from outlets would be the generic code per Article 100, under the definition of a Qualified Person (italicized and underlined below):

One who has skills and knowledge related to the construction and operation of the electrical equipment and installations and has received safety training to recognize and avoids the hazards involved.

2) On page 33 of the 2011 Handbook edition of the NEC explains in more detail, the electrical safety in the workplace. These are excerpts from NFPA 70E electrical safety standard. This area for electrical safety is discussed in greater detail regarding employee training for both qualified and unqualified persons. NFPA 70E goes into much more detail on electrical safety training than the National Electrical Code does.

3) Unfortunately, there are no other sections within the NEC that mandate as to the order of how wire, receptacles, switches, etc. should be installed prior to or after drywall is installed.

4) You are not the only electrician who encounters this on the job. Been down this road numerous times. The only other recommendation I can make is to bring this to the attention of the project Superintendent or Project Manager prior to the start of the project if the job is large enough to have one. If no Super or Project Manager, then the Remodeling Contractor or Project Contractor needs to be made aware of what is taking place. On the next project such as this one, include some terms and conditions verbiage in the electrical contract that will prevent the drywallers from doing this activity.

5) It is also possible to review local electrical codes. Perhaps, the AHJ has written into their local codes that will prevent this from occurring.

6) If this is occurring on a union job, bring this to the attention of the Steward and/or Business Agent. If this occurs on a non-union job, bring it to the attention of the General Contractor since the drywallers are encroaching upon electrical work.

Hope this helps.........If you have any additional questions, let me know and I'll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don't forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at:

1) In addition, if any devices (receptacles, switches) and/or conductors, Romex, etc became wet due to water damage, those need to be replaced and not just dried out or re-used.

This is an assist for Kevin. See the link below from NEMA on the subject.

Mike G.........thanks for the NEMA publication...........much appreciated!

1) As a former AHJ, I would consider the temporary removal of electrical receptacles from the 1900 boxes as the responsibility of the electricians and not the drywallers. Most likely, they are not turning OFF the branch circuit breaker and therefore are causing a potential safety hazard. Ask the General Contractor or the local electrical inspector in your municipality if the drywallers have an electrical license. Most municipalities if not all, require that anyone performing electrical work to be licensed and be registered within the local municipality. Doubt that the drywallers are licensed or registered to perform electrical work? Bring this to the attention of the local AHJ and the drywallers will stay away from performing electrical work. Therefore, I recommend to use the local electrical code to your advantage.

Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience: 29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector

Thank you for the excellent rating...........much appreciated!

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Take care and have a great evening...........Thanks...........Kevin!