Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 45 years Experience

Im installing a bathroom light with fan and would like to

I'm installing a bathroom light with fan and would like to operate the light and fan separately using a double switch. The power comes in from the attic ( one black and one white wire). The fixture has a blue, black, and 2 white wires. I ran a 14/3 wire from the switch box to the attic which has a black, red, white, and ground. How do i make all these connections?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. Do you have a2 wire voltage tester?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not have a voltage tester

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Well, you need to verify the wires in the attic. Get a tester and come back to continue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, I will be offline for a while.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Very good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mike,

not sure if this will help or not, but I have a voltage "detector" and the circut breaker for this line is a 20amp 120volt. Does this help or do i need to purchase a voltage tester?

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Should have one when doing anything electrical. It is needed to verify if you have a hot and a neutral (120V). Also I need a count on wires in the attic box.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there are two wires in the attic, 1 black and 1 white. The black wire registers on my voltage detector and the white does not. When i removed the old fixture (light only) it was wired black to black and white to white.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
I see an unanticipated issue. The circuit is 20A and the 3 wire you installed is only good for 15A. You can either replace the 3 wire or change the breaker to 15A.
Where are you planing on originating the wire to the fan/light, the attic box or the switch box?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will replace the wire to accomodate the 20amp circuit. Has for originating the wire to the fan/light I believe it has to come from the attic since that is where the power comes in from is that correct?

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
OK, the connections are as follows.
1) connect the white wire going to the switches to the black wire in the attic. Mark it on both ends with black tape indicating it's a hot wire.
2) Connect the 3 wire to the fan using the white connected to the white in the attic box to the while to the fan and the reds and blacks in both 3 wire cables together by color.
3) Connect all the whites together in the fan and the red and black to the black and blue wires
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience: Proven Professional 45 years Experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mike,

I just want to confirm making sure I understand everything.

1. connect the white from switch box to black in attic. Marking white wire to indicate its hot.

2. The white wire in attic will connect to the white wires of the fan/light

3. The black and red wires from the switch box will connect to the blue and black wires of the fan/light.

Is this correct?

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Correct
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much for your excellent service in helping me with this!

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Anytime, you're welcome.