Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

I am trying to connect a new LG electric standing stove to

I am trying to connect a new LG electric standing stove to my house electric. The old stove was missing when we bought the house and the people who took it simply cut the wire off the back of the stove. The wire for the stove simply comes out of the wall behind where the stove would be. It appears to be aluminum (silver color). There are two braided lines of the same diameter with black insulation. These two lines are wreathed with several bare silver colored wires. All of this is covered with a plastic-like mesh which is covered in a grey sleeve. I hope this description is clear enough. I have pictures and a video if you want.

My question is, how can I wire the existing house line to my new stove? The manufacturer supports a three pole and four pole wiring scheme.

Thanks!
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Jason :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Jason :

The wire you've described sounds like service entrance cable, which is probably what the Home Depot clerk was talking about.

Jason :

Ideally, you need to install a 3 prong outlet in that location.

Jason :

Does the stove have a 3 prong cord on it?

Customer:

According to the sales rep, the installers for the stove can use either a 3 prong or a 4 prong.

Jason :

OK, with the wire you have in the wall, the stove should have a 3 prong cord on it. The wires coming from the wall need to be connected to a matching 3 prong outlet. There are surface mount outlets available. They typically have a black plastic box.

Jason :

I can post a link to this item, if you need to see one. The outer braided bare wires need to be unwrapped from the other two conductors, and twisted together to form a third conductor.

Customer:

ok, I thought the wiring would be block, white and green or a bare wire. This one has two black and a collection of bare wires. How do I tell polarity?

Customer:

black*

Jason :

Polarity won't matter on the two black wires.

Customer:

Huh, the homedepot guy said it should have polarity, but then again I bet he isn't a certified electrician.

Jason :

Most likely not. With 240 volt AC circuits, polarity is hardly ever a concern.

Customer:

Could you link the item you referenced? I think I know the item you mentioned.

Jason :

Sure, can you stand by while I look it up?

Customer:

sure thing. Let me post a pic of the wiring just so I can make double sure. ok?

Jason :

Absolutely. Here's the type of outlet I'm talking about. You need a 50 amp rated model.

Jason :

stove outlet

Customer:

stove wiring
Full Size Image

Jason :

I don't think the image loaded properly. Did you use the paper clip icon?

Customer:

yeah. image was corrupted by yahoo. sending it to my gmail account.

Customer:

btw: that link is exactly what I was thinking.

Jason :

Good. Any local home store should have them. If there is already a cord, just make sure the outlet configuration matches.

Customer:

wire
Full Size Image

Jason :

That is indeed service entrance cable. Just take all of the individual strands and twist them together into a third conductor. That will serve as your neutral/ground conductor.

Customer:

awesome. thanks. I really appreciate your patience.

Jason :

Oh, no problem at all. We're here to help.

Customer:

going to rate excellent.

Customer:

take care!

Jason :

I appreciate that. Is there anything else I can do for you?

Customer:

nope. be well man and stay out of the heat, or rain. Depending on where you are :)

Jason :

Rain, at the moment. Messing up my outdoor plans, but puts me on this site, which can work out okay for customers, I guess. Have a great weekend!

Jason, Service Technician
Experience: Over 15 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.