AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade

I installed a new Hayward pump and when I start the pump it

I installed a new Hayward pump and when I start the pump it runs for a minute then stops, I reversed the wires and the salting happens. Any suggestions???
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

I have tried finding that unit at Hayward and unable to locate any information. It is the correct Model number posted?

Customer: Model number is XXXXX
Customer: Try this numberSP2607X10
Customer: I sent a new #
AssuredElectrical :

Got it, checking now, thanks

AssuredElectrical :

Your power available is 115 or 230?

Customer: 230i think
AssuredElectrical :

Is the breaker a double pole or a single?

Customer: Don't know how can I tell
AssuredElectrical :

a double pole is 2 times the thickness of a single

Customer: Double
AssuredElectrical :

Ok, do you have the wiring compartment open so you can see inside?

Customer: Yes
AssuredElectrical :

Ok, the manual doesnt show that area, so does it have a small black that the wires connect to?

Customer: Black what
AssuredElectrical :

sorry, small block

Customer: Yes
AssuredElectrical :

And does it have 2 positions that it can plug into? or is it set in one place only?

Customer: Two positions
AssuredElectrical :

ok, does it have writing to show the 2 positions? 115 or 230?

Customer: Yes
AssuredElectrical :

ok, is it in the 230 position?

Customer: in 230 position
AssuredElectrical :

ok

AssuredElectrical :

do you have a voltage meter?

Customer: no
AssuredElectrical :

what did you have previously?

Customer: I have a voltage detector a light goes on if live
AssuredElectrical :

Need a 2 lead with readout for troubleshooting

AssuredElectrical :

what did you have previously?

Customer: Starite pump
AssuredElectrical :

ok

AssuredElectrical :

possible to take a picture of the wiring area and post it?

Customer: sure
AssuredElectrical :

ok, you can upload it to tinypic.com then post the link here

AssuredElectrical :

the site is having problems with direct posting of pictures in this chat window

AssuredElectrical :

Full Size Image

AssuredElectrical :

does it look like that? site looks like they may have fixed the picture issue?

AssuredElectrical :

we dont use email, sorry

AssuredElectrical :

please use this chat for correspondence

Customer: That is it without wires connected
AssuredElectrical :

Ok, but in that position? not further over? notice how the block is way over past 115

AssuredElectrical :

you dont have wires connected? confused?

Customer: Checking
AssuredElectrical :

ok

Customer: Over as far as it will go
AssuredElectrical :

ok, trying to understand what you stated" That is it without wires connected"

AssuredElectrical :

your wires connect to the L1 and L2 terminals, correct?

Customer: The housing is hot we are going to let it cool . But the motor sounds right and it did not turn off
AssuredElectrical :

ok, did you make any changes?

Customer: Yes according to the picture the 230 was not right. The picture helped. Removed the selector and place it as the pix and the motor turned on and did not turn off. There was a ill spark when it turned on but put cover on
AssuredElectrical :

ok, thats a start.

AssuredElectrical :

Did you have water flow? or air bubbles?

Customer: yes we have water flow. I don't know about bubbles. My husband primed the pump
AssuredElectrical :

ok, just wanted to be sure it had flow, if it starves for water, it will overheat from high current

Customer: We will try it now
AssuredElectrical :

ok, make sure it doesnt get real hot,

Customer: I think it is ok my husband says the pump running even sounds different
AssuredElectrical :

check the flow and make sure it is correct? not too little, but not too much either

Customer: It is at 20 psi
AssuredElectrical :

ok, I dont know your piping and everything, so I assume that was what you ran at with flow?

Customer: Yup it's running now outside is a bit warm but not hot and it is 100 degree here right now
AssuredElectrical :

ok, sounds like he may have it then. Yea, 100 outside is tough for try and cool off

Customer: The picture was the perfect answer
AssuredElectrical :

Great, took a while, but finally found it

Customer: Yup
Customer: Pump is humming along
AssuredElectrical :

Excelletn, great news

Customer: Thank you I guess the phrase a picture is worth a thousand words is right on
AssuredElectrical :

your are most welcome, glad to assist. Yes, I love pictures myself

Customer: thank you
AssuredElectrical :

your welcome, enjoy the water in the heat,lol

Customer: goingyou going to the sierras tomorrow
AssuredElectrical :

sounds nice, have a good trip

Customer: The person new what questions to get to the bottom of the problem. He was very direct in his questions and was quite adept at getting us to the solution.
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade