Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector

smoke detector started chirping. replaced 9V battery. still

smoke detector started chirping. replaced 9V battery. still chirping, so removed from wall. it is 120V powered, plus the battery. there are 3 wires, w, b and yellow. the yellow wire not connected to anything - but has the tell tail curl of a wire that used to be wrapped around something. can't tell what it is supposed to be connected to in the wall as all i can see is power, return and ground wires... any idea what to do about yellow wire? name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!

1) The yellow wire is used as the "inter-connected" wire. This yellow wire should be connected to other smokes that also have an inter-connected wire. The black wire is the hot wire, the white wire is the neutral.

2) There are a few reasons as to why a smoke detector will go into a chirping mode. One common reason is a loose white neutral wire connection or faulty splice.

Check out the following link from FireX and Kidde as to the causes of the chirping:

3) If your smokes are 10 years old or older, they also need to be replaced and have reached their end-of-life. All smoke manufacturers recommend replacing the smokes at a maximum of 10 years.

Hope this helps.........If you have any additional questions, let me know and I'll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don't forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at:

Hello Richard..........Thank you for the excellent rating as well as the bonus......much appreciated!

If you have any other questions, just let me know and reply back to this question. No need to generate a new question.

Take care and have a great weekend..............Thanks.............Kevin!