AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade

When I turn on my 7 quart commercial bowl lift stand mixer

When I turn on my 7 quart commercial bowl lift stand mixer it runs for a few seconds then kicks off the ground fault receptacle. My ten inch contractors table saw has no problems on this receptacle
Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

It only takes a mere 6 milli amps to trip a GFCI.

Is the receptacle GFCI or is it a breaker?

Can you try another GFCI? LIke in the bath or outside?

Check the cord also for any indication of a scrape or knick?

Post results and see where we go, thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The mixer is brand new as is the cord. Changing the location does not make a difference and am using gfci outlets. It seems that it's probably the thickness of the dough being mixed. I don't totally understand why the GFCI would trip. Would it help to change the outlet to a 20 amp instead a 15 amp and would that maybe hurt the mixer?

Ok, thanks for the information.

I would do this first (you may have already):

Plug the mixer into a standard receptacle, do not use one in the kitchen because they are all on GFCI.
Use one some place else, like the living room.

See if it will work?

GFCI does not care how much power is used, they only protect against a short inside the appliances.

We need to see if the mixer works first on a regular receptacle.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The mixer works on the GFCI outlet if there is no load, no dough. I would have to mix up another batch of dough which would take some time. So if you think this is the thing to do it will be some time before I can test it. Let me know if I should mix another batch of heavy dough.

Give the me the exact details of what is happening please.

You posted this originally:
When I turn on my 7 quart commercial bowl lift stand mixer it runs for a few seconds then kicks off

That seems to be, it will not run on the GFCI at all

So, it will run?
How long?
Will it operate and mix a small amount?
What are all the variables that are taking place?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It ran for maybe a second with the dough in it. With nothing in it there is no problem except that it's there to kneed the dough.

Ok, thanks.

Looking at the specifications on that mixer, it has a DC motor inside and not an AC like most of the others.

So, there is a board and driver inside the mixer to change the power over for the motor to run.

It appears something in the circuitry is creating enough leakage that the GFCI thinks there is a major problem and shuts down.

I have a kitchen aid myself but just not that big, and it is an AC motor and have no problems.

I would do the test I suggested earlier and try a different circuit just to be 100% sure nothing is wrong on the electrical inside the mixer.
if it runs fine on another circuit NOT ON a GFCI, then something inside the that mixer changing the power over is creating a false sense to the GFCI.

If it quits on a standard receptacle circuit, there is something wrong and needs to be exchanged.

I do not know any way around operating it in the kitchen since they are all GFCI for protection.
Counter top receptacles are supposed to be GFCI protected.

I do not know if the manufacturer has had any other complaints on the same issue or not. But will try to search to find out.