Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector

Fagor 5HA200LX has just 3 wires. My circuit has black, red,

Fagor 5HA200LX has just 3 wires. My circuit has black, red, white(neutral), and bare ground. How should the Fagor green be connected? name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!

Hello Don and welcome to Just Answer.

1) The bare copper wire originating from your branch circuit is the equipment grounding conductor which only gets spliced to the green ground wire coming from the oven.

FYI.......bare copper wires from Romex are only used as the ground. Green wires from any equipment are also only used as the ground. These two wires are never used as a hot or neutral conductor.

2) Your circuit black and red get connected to the hot wires from the oven and the white neutral from the wall box gets connected to the oven white neutral.

Hope this helps.........If you have any additional questions, let me know and I'll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don't forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at:

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried to make it clear that my oven has no white wire, only the green along with the black and red. should the green be spliced to the white and bare circuit wires?

1) Sorry about that, read your question too fast. Was just reviewing the Fagor website and this company is based in Spain which uses different European wiring standards than the United States does.

2) Fagor's electrical installation instructions show that the oven green/yellow wire is connected to both the house white (neutral) and green/copper ground wire. A green/yellow wire is only meant to be used as an equipment grounding conductor and not combined with a neutral conductor. I disagree using that type of wiring scheme for an oven installed in the United States. In the United States, the white neutral wire is also a current carrying conductor and is used as the return wire going back to the electrical utility transformer. This oven is a 240 volt supply which also has a clock as well as other various controls which require to be powered by 120 volts and not just 240 volts. The 240VAC is only for the oven. The 120 VAC portion is for the rest of the controls, clock, etc.

In the United States, any 120 volt AC circuit has 1 hot and 1 neutral and an equipment ground either via a bare copper in Romex or EMT metal conduit. If the neutral wire is connected to the ground wire, this defeats the purpose of the ground wire. A ground wire is installed for safety purposes and should never have voltage and/or current on it unless there is a ground fault which would immediately direct it to the path with the least amount of resistance which is always the ground or earth.

If Fagor is internally bonding the green/yellow ground wire to the frame of the oven and it is tied into the house neutral wire, this means that any return current on the 120 volt portion is going thru the frame and metal enclosure of the oven.

3) Any electric double oven or electric range that I have installed over the years was either a 3 wire circuit (2 hots & 1 neutral) or a 4 wire circuit (2 hots, 1 neutral and 1 ground) such as your house. Prior to 1996, the National Electrical Code allowed 2 hots and 1 neutral and did not require a separate equipment ground.

4) I would suggest contacting Fagor and ask them if this particular model is only meant to be installed using European wiring standards since it does not meet our wiring standards here in the United States.

Don.......thank you for the excellent rating............much appreciated!

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Take care and have a great evening...........Thanks..............Kevin!