Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector

what size of buried tech cable would I need for a 60 amp service

what size of buried tech cable would I need for a 60 amp service 250 feet from source? name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!

1) Is the application for a sub-panel?

2) Do you plan on using Underground Feeder cable as a direct burial or using PVC electrical conduit?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

(1) Yes

(2) direct burial

Howard.... thank you for your replies.

1) Based on a 240 volt source, 60 amp load and 250 foot run, you will need 2 AWG stranded copper or 1 AWG stranded aluminum. The 1 AWG stranded aluminum will be more cost effective. The voltage drop calculation results in less than the recommended 3% voltage drop by the National Electrical Code. Both VD's are under the 3% rule, therefore, either of these sizes will work OK for the 250 foot run.

2) If using 2 AWG copper, you will need a 10 AWG stranded copper conductor for the equipment ground. If using 1 AWG stranded aluminum, you will need 8 AWG stranded aluminum for the equipment ground.

3) All sub-panels require a 4 wire circuit, ie, 2 hots, 1 neutral and 1 equipment ground. Size the 2 hots and the 1 neutral accordingly based on whether using copper or aluminum conductors.

4) At the sub and the main electrical panel, you will need an equipment grounding bar. At the sub, the neutral wire must remain isolated or floating from the panel enclosure. You will also require a main breaker sub-panel with a 60 amp breaker for the disconnect. You will also require a minimum of (1) one 8 foot ground rod.

Hope this helps.........If you have any additional questions, let me know and I'll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don't forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at:

Howard..... thank you for the positive rating...........much appreciated!

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Take care and have a great day................Thanks...............Kevin!