Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector

I have one alarm that is chirping. My alarm was not connected,

I have one alarm that is chirping. My alarm was not connected, but the chirping is coming from the outlet. Although it is about 15 yrs old, none of the other ones is creating a problem. name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!

1) If the alarm is 15 years old, it should have been replaced 5 years ago. All smoke alarms should be replaced every 10 years and all carbon monoxide alarms should be replaced every 5 years. All manufacturers have this time replacement recommendation. A smoke and/or carbon is working 7 x 24 x 365 whether or not smoke and/or CO is in the surrounding area. I recommend to replace the chirping alarm with a new one since the alarm is more than 10 years old.

If you do not wish to replace the chirping detector, let me know as there are many possibilities that a smoke detector can go into a chirp mode...........Thanks...........Kevin!

2) Check out Firex's home page link: The following recommendation is highlighted on the left hand side of their home page. Click on the link to read more info.

Replace & Upgrade Today

Have you ever replaced your smoke alarms? If your alarms are 10+ years old, it's time to get new ones. Learn more about replacing and upgrading your alarms and the batteries

3) The International Building Code recommends inter-communicated smoke alarms be located in every bedroom or sleeping area of the home, 1 in the basement and 1 installed in each hallway. Carbon Monoxide alarms are recommended outside of the bedrooms (hallway area) and 1 in the basement. Many manufacturers sell combo smoke and CO alarms. Batteries should be changed twice per year. Wireless inter-communicated alarms are also available and do not need to be hard-wired if installing in a new location that does not have readily available electrical wiring.

Hope this helps.........If you have any additional questions, let me know and I'll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don't forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at:

Thank you for the excellent rating as well as the bonus.........much appreciated!

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Take care and have a great evening...........Thanks............Kevin!