AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade

I have a 300 sq ft loft above my detached garage which currently

I have a 300 sq ft loft above my detached garage which currently is studs only except for basic sewer/water lines, and one circuit from a small subpanel in the garage. The subpanel consists of the following:
-- linked to the house main with 60 amp breaker
-- contains two 15 amp breakers; 1 breaker for garage lights (two)/outlets (2), and one breaker for loft lights (two)
-- maximum of 4 breakers can be installed in the current subpanel

I want to finish the loft (insulate/drywall, etc) and will need to add a small ac/heat type pump in addition to more outlets, lights, etc. Since the loft will also have a shower/bathroom, GFCI will also be needed.

Question: Can I replace the current subpanel with a bigger subpanel to accommodate the additional wiring/cirucuits, and also the ac/heat pump (it will require 220)? Or, I need to run/bury a separate line from the house main breaker to the garage specifically for the AC/heat pump? When I was talking to a local AC guy, he thought I needed another line.

Let me know if you need additional information.

Thanks
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

1. Do you know what size wire is used on the 60 amp panel?

AssuredElectrical :

2. What size AC will be installed? 1 ton would easily do the work

Customer:

I think the AC may be less than 1 ton. I would need to confirm with the AC guy.

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, I would guess 1 ton maximum, couldnt be over that with 300 sqft

AssuredElectrical :

so, do you know what size wire they pulled on the 60 amps?

Customer:

I need to double-check it. What's the minimum size I need?

AssuredElectrical :

Is it in conduit?

AssuredElectrical :

or cable?

AssuredElectrical :

If it is the proper size for 60 amps, you have plenty

Customer:

I believe it is conduit

AssuredElectrical :

all you need to do, is swap out the panel for one with more slots, keep it at 60 amps and you will be fine

Customer:

ok. when I finished my basement, I had completed a subpanel for it also so I have some experience; however, the AC guy scared me a bit with his comments.

AssuredElectrical :

the AC if 1 ton will only pull around 14-15 amps

AssuredElectrical :

It isnt like a whole house at 25-30

Customer:

ok

AssuredElectrical :

so you have plenty of room

AssuredElectrical :

not sure what the AC guy is concerned over?

Customer:

I'll have a more detailed chat with the AC guy before I start installation. At the planning phase right now.

Customer:

thanks a lot for the quick help. I'll add on some bonus money.

AssuredElectrical :

thats fine, but with 1 ton, I would have no concerns over a 60 amp panel

Customer:

yes, my basement has a separate AC system and it runs on 60 amp

AssuredElectrical :

Must be a huge basement

AssuredElectrical :

My AC is 4 tons and only runs 30 amps

Customer:

sorry....I meant I have a 60 amp subpanel box that runs the basement

AssuredElectrical :

especially today with the higher efficiencies, they run even less

AssuredElectrical :

Oh, ok yes, that is right

AssuredElectrical :

I think you are good to go with 60 amps

Customer:

Thanks again. XXXXX need additional help when working on the loft, I will reach out.

AssuredElectrical :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX welcome and glad to assist

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade