Tommy Tesla
Tommy Tesla, Electrical Technician
Experience:  E-1 Master Electrician. Specializing in Commercial ,Industrial, and Residential Wiring Applications.

We recently had a flood in our basement. Our contractor asked

Customer Question

We recently had a flood in our basement. Our contractor asked us to have an electrican upgrade the knob and tube wiring before installing new drywall. The Home Owners insurance company is asking us for the "NEC code" that required us to upgrade from Knob and Tube to current electrical wiring, Can you help us find the code
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Tommy Tesla replied 3 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer! My name is Tommy I am here to help you with all your electrical needs. The NEC does not state you have to upgrade knob and tube wiring in your basement. However, all the insurance companies are more than happy to get rid of knob and tube wiring. I can not imagine that wire being safe once it has been wet so on that mere fact alone it should be replaced. Let alone the fact that it is the most archaic way of electricity left. All the insurance companies I have ever worked with want it removed. When there is a flood all electrical wiring must be replaced. What do they want you to do replace it with new knob and tube?

Hi Bill,

Did you get everything clarified with your insurance company?

Hope all is well. Do you need any further assistance on your electrical question?