AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

Problems with tvs and ceiling fans

My TVs are going off by themselves in the living room and the master bedroom. I have Direct TV boxes. What could cause the problem? We also have two control remote fans in both rooms and they are also starting by themselves. The lights in both rooms are dimming and re-gaining strength continuously.

Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

It sounds like a loose connection in the wiring, either at a receptacles, a light or at the breaker

We need to get some information to try and locate the problem.

Do you have a 2 lead voltage tester?

Are all the items on the same circuit breaker/ or fuse?

Are there other receptalces and lights that are working fine on that same circuit?

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not have a 2 lead voltage tester. All the items are not on the same circuit, however the two rooms share a wall. There are not other receptacles working fine on the same circuit.

Ok, thanks for the information.

Do you have an electric dryer, range or oven possibly?

If so, turn on the dryer and a burner on the range and see if the TVs go out or flicker or any lights or lamps etc?

That will provide some information, thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The burner and dryer work fine and the lights in those areas work fine. However before I tried them the TV went off again, then it started by itself again. The direct TV boxes throughout the house reset by themselves.

Thank you for checking.

If you have a small table lamp or a small electric appliance, you can do this testing without a voltage tester.

Take the lamp, and plug it into a recptacle in the same room as any of the TV's that are going off.

Jiggle the plug when you have it plugged into the receptacle and see if the TV flickers or goes out.
Go around the room and do it at every receptacle in the room including the one the TV is plugged into.

Do this in every room that a problem exists with a TV or light or fan.

What this does, is it lets you jiggle the receptacle so that if there is a loose connection, it will "SHOW" itself, so that at least you know where the problem is located.
Then you can make a decision to make the repair or call someone to help out.

Make sure you jiggle the plug on the lamp as it is plugged in and if you need some else to watch the TV, light, fan or cable box, get them to assists.

I hope this will show the problem area or areas.
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade