AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I have an old fuse panel in my house and i keep loosing power

I have an old fuse panel in my house and i keep loosing power in parts of my house. The fuse and the wiring seem to look fine could it be a main fuse starting to go?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

You say it is only in parts of the house, is it the same each time or does it move around changing?

Customer:

Its the same areas

AssuredElectrical :

ok, thanks

Customer:

It will come on stay on for a while then it flickers then poof nothing

AssuredElectrical :

is it at any certain times, like running range or dryer, air or heat, etc? or just random?

Customer:

Seems to be random

AssuredElectrical :

ok

AssuredElectrical :

can you isolate which circuit it is on when it comes back?

Customer:

yes i know which one it is

AssuredElectrical :

ok, so it is a single circuit doing this?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

Ive changed the fuse twice

Customer:

not blown either time

AssuredElectrical :

do you know how many receptacles and how many lights are on the circuit?

Customer:

6 overhead lights and one receptacle

AssuredElectrical :

to know, you would have to test each one when it goes out, then when it comes back on turn off the fuse and see everything that goes off.

AssuredElectrical :

See if there is a difference

Customer:

I know exactly whats on it due to checking when the lights were on.

AssuredElectrical :

there could be one item that doesnt go out on the circuit, that is what I am want to identify

AssuredElectrical :

so, you say it is definitely only the items mentioned and they all go out together?

Customer:

As it sits now it is out and everything I belive to be on that circut is out

Customer:

I had to label the panel years ago and tested everything. Wasnt labeled when i bought house

AssuredElectrical :

ok, if they are out now, you can remove the fuse and see if anything additional goes out, that would tell

Customer:

hold on a sec ill do that

AssuredElectrical :

ok, thanks

Customer:

Checked area outlets and they seem to be working put fuse back in everything came back on see strange

Customer:

Just the stuff that has been going out was out

AssuredElectrical :

The system crashed and would not let back in, so sorry. I cannot even see what we have discussed so far, so trying to get it back

AssuredElectrical :

ok, got it all back now, sorry for the pause

Customer:

thats ok no problem

AssuredElectrical :

ok

AssuredElectrical :

do you have a voltage tester?

Customer:

I do not

AssuredElectrical :

ok,

AssuredElectrical :

only one receptacle correct?

Customer:

But like i said it is on right now it came back when I put the fuse back and yes just one

AssuredElectrical :

ok, it could very well be a loose connection at the fuse

Customer:

you know i checked that and the wires were tight I re tightened the screws and they seemed fine. Do the edision sockets ever wear out ?

Customer:

and can you replace them?

AssuredElectrical :

that could have a bad connection inside the base that holds the fuse, yes

Customer:

ok I think I will explore that over the weekend

AssuredElectrical :

what you need to do is see if you get a repeat everytime, by unscrewing the fuse and putting it back, would it restore power everytime

AssuredElectrical :

that would be a good indicator it is the screw base

Customer:

ok will do hey thank you very much

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade