cllishof
cllishof, Electrical Technician
Experience:  Any electrical question from residential to commercial

I just installed the jasco z wave 45609 on/off switch. the

Customer Question

I just installed the jasco z wave 45609 on/off switch. the blue light comes on but the lights won't come on.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  cllishof replied 1 year ago.

cllishof : I believe this switch requires a neutral at the switch. What wires do you have at the switch nd what color are they?
Customer:

All the wires are black.

cllishof : Unfortunately you have a line wire a lad wire but no neutral. This switch requires a neutral
cllishof : Load wire
Customer:

so I have 3 wires and a ground. None of them are neutral? I'm installing this for a single light switch.

cllishof : Hmmm
cllishof : It needs a neutral for single pole location. Was this switch a 3 way location originally?
Customer:

If you mean, did the original switch tie to another switch, the answer is no. (still trying to learn electrical terms)

Customer:

I had a Lutron MAW-600 dimmer on this switch and it worked perfectly.

cllishof : So originally it was just switched from that location 3 way is a light switched from multiple locations
cllishof : How did you have dimmer hooked up?
Customer:

one location

cllishof : Are there white wires tucked in the back of box
Customer:

hold on, let me run and check

Customer:

there are 3 white wires tied together in the back of the box.

cllishof : That s your neutral
cllishof : Ok let e look at diagram
cllishof : So on back of your switch it says line load traveler and neutral and ground is that correct
Customer:

yes

cllishof : Ok so you need to pigtail the neutral this is done by taking a 8 inch piece of white wire and tie it with the three white wires does that make sense? Turn power off while doing this
Customer:

So add an additional wire to the 3 that are tied together to tie into the neutral?

Customer:

an 8 inch wire?

cllishof : Yes that wire will go to neutral on switch
cllishof : Yes just a small piece that will carry neutral to switch
Customer:

and how do I determine which of the 3 black wires I use for load and the other one?

cllishof : Traveler on the ack of switch is not used
cllishof : Back
Customer:

right

cllishof : Ok do you have any kind of tester?
Customer:

I do, but I'm embarrassed to say I don't know how to use it!

cllishof : What does it look like
Customer:

iDeal 61-312 (model number)

cllishof : When you took dimmer of there was two wires put to one side of dimmer and one wire put to the other do you remember which was the one wire?
Customer:

I do

Customer:

visually

cllishof : Nice! Does this just control one light?
Customer:

one switch controls 7 lights in the kitchen ceiling.

Customer:

on/off

cllishof : So the one that was tied to the one side of dimmer should be load the other two that was tied to other side of dimmer should be line
cllishof : Does that make sense
Customer:

yes

Customer:

so I need to go to Lowe's or Home Depot to get this wire, correct? I can't use any wire, correct?

cllishof : Make sure you turn power off and hook it up that way and tell me if that works
Customer:

without the 8 inch wire?

Customer:

I tried that and it didn't work.

Customer:

the blue light didn't even come on

cllishof : Any small piece the wire should be 12 awg it's probably 14 awg but lets use 12 to be safe you just need a small piece you gonna buy it at lowes?
Customer:

I guess. It's closer to me.

cllishof : Where did yo get wire to pigtail neutral?
Customer:

I didn't

cllishof : It has to have a neutral to work
Customer:

I just used one of the 3 wires.

Customer:

I hope I'm not confusing you.

cllishof : So you took those three wires apart and used one?
cllishof : Those three wires must remain together adding one for the switch
Customer:

no...I hooked 2 black wires together and on the load and one on the line. none on the neutral.

cllishof : Ok it won't work with out neutral
cllishof : Switch that the 2 wires go to line the one to load
Customer:

then I used one on the neutral, one on load and one on line. the blue light came on, the switch would go on and off., but the kitchen lights would not come on

cllishof : 2 wires to line the one to load pigtail neutral to neutral
Customer:

gotcha

Customer:

so I need really need that neutral

Customer:

pigtail

cllishof : Neutral is needed
Customer:

gotcha.

Customer:

I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get the wire because lowes will be closed by the time I get there.

cllishof : Then put it together and we will see if we have the line load correct
Customer:

okay, can I give you an update tomorrow once I get the wire?

cllishof : Perfect I will switch this to q and a don't rate me and you can still ask questions! Ill be around
cllishof : Yes sir
Customer:

cool. this is my first time using this.

cllishof, Electrical Technician
Experience: Any electrical question from residential to commercial
Expert:  cllishof replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  cllishof replied 1 year ago.
Now were in q. And a you can still ask me questions does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It worked! I went to Home Depot and got a 1 foot piece of 12 awg for $0.32. Thanks for all your help!

Expert:  cllishof replied 1 year ago.
You gotta like it when your only .32 cents away from making it work! Good job thanks for using just answer! Chris
Expert:  cllishof replied 1 year ago.
Hw did that work with a neutral?