AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I have an old GE cooktop (Model: P656 0C1AD Ser.#: TRY 69641

I have an old GE cooktop (Model: P656 0C1AD Ser.#: TRY 69641 G) that is being replaced with a new GE model: JP328CK2CC Ser.#: GA703493U.

The old unit has an 8 wire 220 plug. The wires are: 4 Red / 2 Black / 2 Blue. (There is also a green wire connected directly to the metal casing of the plug as a ground.)

I am planning on cutting off the old plug and then match the old wires to the single red, black and ground wires on the new unit.

Can someone please tell how to convert this old GE plug to the newer 220 connection?

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

Lets get some more information and see if I can assist. Definitely is not your normal run of the mill

AssuredElectrical :

1. The plug you have with the 8 wires, are the wires single wires or a cable connected to the plug?

AssuredElectrical :

2. Do the wires connect to an existing box that also has power for an oven unit by chance?

Customer:

1. Their is a metal cable housing covering the wire until it reaches the plug. I had to take apart the plug to see the wires.

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, and does that cable connect to a box in the cabinet?

Customer:

2, The controls for the cook top are in the range hood (With the fan and light). When I turned off the breaker - they stopped working as well (and expected.) I looked back behind the top unit and there is not a junction box just what appears to be six wires coupled in sets of 2.

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, so how do the wires get inside that metal flex?

AssuredElectrical :

they must enter on the other end? Connects to the range hood?

Customer:

:( I can't tell because their hidden by kitchen wall. I think all this "magic" is happening behind the wall and I am going to have to tear out the wall to replace with correct wiring? Am I in the ballpark?

AssuredElectrical :

If the controls are in the hood, there is a location to remove a cover and access those wires in the metal flex somewhere

Customer:

When I remove the cover at the wall (at least the only visible cover); all I see are three pigtails (each with what appears to be 2 wires each.) I can't see anything else and have no way of access,

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, what do they connect to where you see this?

AssuredElectrical :

you see 3 wires and the other 8 are connecting to them?

Customer:

All I can see is a large wire (my guess it is coming from the main) - that large wrie gets broken into three groups and connect to wires that disappear somewhere.

Customer:

I can't tell where or how the 8 wires related to the three visisble behind the wall.

AssuredElectrical :

I came across a similar unit many years ago, what the did, is have separate fuses/breakers for each burner, that is why so many wires. Each wire goes to a different burner The new ones use larger wires and only 3 or 4. You have to get to where the main power comes in and it is connected to a block that has all those colored wires connected.

AssuredElectrical :

I think you see the main cable, just where is the junction?

AssuredElectrical :

Usually it was under the cooktop with a metal enclosure

AssuredElectrical :

Yours is someplace else?

Customer:

I think it is hidden in the wall!

Customer:

I just looked again.

AssuredElectrical :

That would seem odd, but I have seen many things over the years with remodels and different owners.

AssuredElectrical :

Have you owned the home since it was built?

Customer:

No - house was built in the 50's (kitchen may have been/probably was remodeled in the 60's or 70's and we've been here 25.

AssuredElectrical :

I suspect you will find a large box where it all takes place. Then you can get to the main 3 wires and connect the new top to those. Cant use the individual wires and join them, it isnt safe and doesnt work the same for the current needed.

AssuredElectrical :

Need to connect to the big wires and remove that metal flex and all those small wires

Customer:

Understood. Thanks for the help.

AssuredElectrical :

Someone covered over that box somewhere/somehow.

AssuredElectrical :

Look for something inside the cabinets that may allow a wood panel to be removed?

AssuredElectrical :

I have seen instances where they did provide access, just have to open up a panel somewhere

AssuredElectrical :

anything that looks out of place is what I look for

AssuredElectrical :

dont know on yours, but sometimes we get lucky

Customer:

Thanks - I looked pretty hard and it looks to me like their is no access except directly through the wall. (These are metal kitchen cabinets with ceramic backsplashes.)

AssuredElectrical :

ok, is there are crawl space or basement?

AssuredElectrical :

just thinking here of what I would look for if I was on site

Customer:

There is a crawl space. I haven't checked there yet. I guess I could check attic as well?

AssuredElectrical :

I honestly do not know, but would not rule out either one

AssuredElectrical :

I have seen some installations

AssuredElectrical :

that were not normal