AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

Why all the different ratings in teck cable 1000 v 5000 v 6000v

Why all the different ratings in teck cable 1000 v 5000 v 6000v ? I am trying to buy 240 volt 100 amp teck cable and all these differences come up and the price as well.

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

All cabling that is used in many different environments, is made in different forms with types of insulation and thickness that changes the rating of the voltages. That way, the cables can be used in residential,commercial and industrial situations.

AssuredElectrical :

Other than residential, voltages range up to 10000 in some instances and manufacturers cannot make varying types to cover them all, so they make one at 1000 that covers many applications and work up from there to others

Customer:

How does a person select the right one. I have a project 100 amps 240 volt 3phase inside a shop what should I select. This seems confusing because the price is quite different from one to the other

AssuredElectrical :

Just looking at Teck 90 which one would use in residential applications, it is VOLTAGE: 1000 V CSA 600V UL, so that works in all residential markets and some commercial as well.

Customer:

Tech cable

AssuredElectrical :

The lowest voltage you can live with works. If the shop is 240 volts, choose the lowest which is probably 600/1000 volts

AssuredElectrical :

It exceeds your need, but they do not make anything any lower that I am aware of

AssuredElectrical :

Fairly common(NNN) NNN-NNNNbeing lowest point

Customer:

100 amps is #2 tech I beleive. Where would a person use 5000 volts and what do they mean you could have 5000 volts applied to that cable?

AssuredElectrical :

Utility companies exceed 20,000 volts

AssuredElectrical :

Most of the high voltage is used by electric utilities

AssuredElectrical :

or distributions at industrial sites with their own substations

AssuredElectrical :

#2 Teck 90 is what you need for the 240 volts,100 amps correct

AssuredElectrical :

CLICK HERE and see Southwires listing for Teck 90 cable, any other manufacturer will work also

Customer:

I am not familiar with voltages over 600 but I guess a person could have sonic sealers and other equipment that would use high voltages .

AssuredElectrical :

The cable is made for any environment, utility companies, industrial plants etc. Some industries operate at 4170 volts

AssuredElectrical :

They have motors for that voltage also. They cannot afford to make a cable that can only be used in a 240 volt environment, it would be too costly

AssuredElectrical :

So, they make it better and more durable with less problems when the rating is higher

Customer:

So what makes the rating different the size of wire?

AssuredElectrical :

Size is the same for any cable

AssuredElectrical :

It is the type of insualtion on the conductors, the thickness and then the outer covering

Customer:

Also did you you say teck 90 #2 would be sufficient

AssuredElectrical :

Correct, Teck 90 #2

Customer:

another question on transformers the auto transformer can work 220 in 440 out or 440 in 220 out how does a person rate the amp draw on a transformer only without a load but hooked up to 220 volt power. There is a humming sound so it must be drawing current.

AssuredElectrical :

On the lower voltage in, you draw higher amps in and lower out, on the higher voltage in, you draw lower amps in and higher out

AssuredElectrical :

Example---3 kva 3 phase is 7.2 amps on the 240 and 3.6 on the 480 volts

AssuredElectrical :

doesnt matter which is in or out, amperage is watts/volts either direction

Customer:

what does a 75 kva 3 phase drw

AssuredElectrical :

75 kva at 240 volts 3 phase is approx. 180 amps, on the 480 volts it is 90 amps

AssuredElectrical :

numbers change a small amount based on actual voltages

Customer:

Are you saying I could hook up 90 amps on 480 volt

Customer:

I have a chiller that has full load at 22 amps at 460 volts

AssuredElectrical :

If you have a 75 kva transformer and wire it 240 volts in and 480 volts out, it will pull 180 amps on the 240 feeders and 90 amps on the output feeders

AssuredElectrical :

Yes, you can have a load of 90 amps output, but I would keep it lower for inrush room etc and overheating

Customer:

Does teck 90 in aluminum have same rating as copper because I have a peice of #2 teck in aluminum .

Customer:

do you have a chart on aluminum

AssuredElectrical :

no, aluminum is much lower, usually need to increase 2 sizes on aluminum, have to verify the manufacturer charts

AssuredElectrical :

let me check

Customer:

Ok thanks for your info I will pay now.