Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector

i obtained a older range that doesnt have the ampacity listed

i obtained a older range that doesn't have the ampacity listed on it and it had a three prong plug....thinking i was good, i changed the plug out to a four prong (my outlet is) 50 amp. i have since found the kva rating and it is in two unequal legs. one is a 3 wire/120/240vac @ 12.5 kw. and the other is 120/208 @ 9.5 kw. the problem, i have a 40 amp breaker. am i going to have to change out the wiring in the panel and upgrade to a 60 amp breaker?
if so, should i go up to #4 since i'm guess about 15' of wire? name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!

1) Is this installation for a home or a commercial use?

2) Not sure what you mean by two unequal legs? The range should have a nameplate rating and the total wattage or KW should be provided. An electric range requires 120 and 240 volts using 4 wires (2 hots, 1 neutral and 1 ground) . If this will be installed in a home, there is no such voltage as 208 VAC in a house, as that is 3-phase. An electric range installed in a single family dwelling is single phase and 120/240 VAC.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

well there is no label plate, just a sticker that had two lines that read what i wrote. this is for a home installation. i have a 40A breaker and the range appears to be 52A @ 12.5 kw/240vac

1) That's kinda what I figured but just wanted to make sure there was no total wattage on the nameplate. The 120/208 rating would be used if installed within a 3-phase commercial environment. Your rating is the 120/240 or 12.5KW.

2) If you apply Watt's Law where P = I x E, P = 12,500 watts and E =240 volts. Therefore, I = 12.5KW/240VAC = 52 amps. Therefore, the double pole breaker will need to be a 60 amp and the branch conductors will need to be 6 AWG stranded copper or 3 AWG stranded aluminum.

3) The voltage drop using 240 volts at 15 feet with a load of 60 amps results in a .4% voltage drop which is way less than the recommended maximum of a 3% voltage drop for branch circuits. Therefore, 6 AWG copper is OK for the 15 foot run. No need to go to 4 AWG.

Hope this helps.........If you have any additional questions, let me know and I'll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don't forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at:

1) Also, the receptacle will need to be a NEMA 14-60R and the plug will need to be a NEMA 14-60P (3 pole, 4 wire grounding type)

2) "X" & "Y" will be the 2 hot's, "W" will be the neutral and "G" will be the ground as labeled on the receptacle.