Electrical Repair Questions? Ask an Electrician for Answers ASAP
Hello.....my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) Will you be using a remote control for this fan or pull chains or the one wall switch?
2) What type of wall switch do you have? Is the wall switch a single pole ON/OFF switch or is it a dimmer switch or a 3-way switch?
3) Does the fan have a light kit?
4) Possibly use the pull chain to control the fan and the wall switch to control the light if not using a remote?
Let me know how you want to control the fan and light kit (if applicable) and we'll go from there.......Thanks.................Kevin!
one switch, nothing else, does have light below fan, that came with fan , and is installed.
1) I need to know how you want to control the fan & light? Refer to my previous questions as there are a few different methods of controlling the fan & light?
2) No remote control then, correct?
3) Does the fan have (2) two pull chains?
yes,it does, it is a brand new fan out of the box with 4 lights below it./
one on/off switch on the wall, 2 pull chains
Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.You have 2 choices in the situation.1. You can wire the fan or the light to the switch and the one that doesn't can wire to the power and use the pull chain for it.Here, you wire black for fan to the ceiling red and blue for the light to the ceiling black.Both whites together.Ground to the green from the fan.That would make the fan work on the switch and light on the pull chain even with the switch off.If you want the opposite, reverse the wires, black fan to black ceiling, blue light to red ceiling.
This would make the light work off the switch and the fan works by pull chain even with the switch off.
Or you can wire both to the switch and use the wall switch for both and the pull chains to turn one or the other off.This, you combine the black and blue and connect to the red. Black in the ceiling is unused and you use the pull chains to operate the light or fan if you don't want them both on at the same time with the switch
Switch shuts off power to both.Let me know if more info is needed, just hit reply.Thanks
hooked it up both , ways . don,t work lights won't come on or the fan. tested the wires again, 1st way all the wires showed to be hot, with black not used, shows hot , red shows hot when wall switch is on.
Ok, it sounds like your neutral wire (white wire) is loose at the switch or ceiling.What type of tester are you using?Hope it is a 2 lead with readout?
2 leads with a light that shows 120
i don;t show anything on red and white when switch is on.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX an elect. to the house to fix it.
Ok, I am sure we can work it through, it sounds like you have a good understanding and knowledge at this point.Just let me know, be glad to work and see if we can get it going.
Whichever you prefer.