AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade

Hi, Tomorrow Im going to the Ag Center in Asheville, NC

Tomorrow I'm going to the Ag Center in Asheville, NC with my travel trailer which has a regular 30 amp service and plug.

The Ag Center power pole has this 14-30R outlet for 30 amp service. Here's a photo that I took the last time I was up there.!3088&authkey=!ANCxDicuXhHvrMk

I couldn't find an adapter anywhere around Asheville so I wound up buying an adaptor to convert from 50 amp to regular 30 amp RV fittings.

Tomorrow I may wind up in a camping spot with this unusual 30 amp receptacle.

Any ideas how to get my traditional 30 amp plug on my travel trailer to adapt to the 14-30R power fitting on the pole at the Ag Center?

I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I am ok to wait. It may be that instead of an RV tech, an electrician would be more appropriate.

As an update I will be traveling to the Ag Center today. I should be there by about 2pm EST.

To solve my problem I purchased this pigtail

and this plug

My goal is to wire neutral to neutral, hot on the TT=30 to one of the two hot on the 14-30 plug, and ground to ground. The box should be wired for 120 not 240 since this is an RV park and there is never a need for 240 service.

My thought is that I will have to pick the correct hot on the 14-30 receptacle since there is likely only one of the two hot terminals actually connected to power.

I am still interested in knowing if I am on the correct track.

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.

Hi: Thank you for coming to Just Answer with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX perhaps I can assist you with this issue.

I believe that 30 amp plug from your photo is for 240 VAC and NOT for 120 VAC. You should be able to find a 240 VAC to 120 VAC adapter that you can plug your shore cord into. It will end up using just one leg of that feed. DON'T combine those legs into one feed for yours!

If that isn't clear then please get back to me............and always best to check the output with a multimeter to eliminate any guessing here! Your idea will work IF you do it correctly.

Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience: RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

You have all the correct components to set up the power.

Look at the posted schematic and you should have all the information needed.

Since the receptacle at the AG center is a 30/50 amp, this cord may well do the job for you in the future and give you a factory made instead of a homemade.

Either works.
CLICK HERE to see a 50/240 to 30/125

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was able to make and use the TT-30 to 14-30 homemade adapter.

Yesterday evening when I was in the field I saw a graphic that had arrows drawn on it that fully laid out the project. That helped a lot. Can you repost that for my future reference? I saw that image using my smart phone yesterday. This morning, when I logged in to JA to make sure that I rated your assistance so you would get paid, the link to that image seems broken.

From the TT-30 pigtail I connected to the Leviton 14-30/50 plug. I connected the green wire to the ground pin, black to one of the thick flat pins, and white to the "L" shaped neutral pin.

I worked perfectly just like that. I didn't even put the second flat pin (for a second hot) into the 14-30/50 Leviton plug. So it's working with only those three pins sticking out of the plug.

I did test the outlet with my multimeter and it was 120 v, not 240.

And the 50 amp cord that you posted will work when I come across 50 amp power on the pole, which they have this year I've found. Two years ago they didn't have the 14-50 receptacles at all the camp sites, some only had the 14-30.

Thank you again for your diagram, time and effort.

Ok, let me see if I can post it directly here today. The system was not working on the site yesterday.
If not will post a link again, do not know why it is removing the link, really odd.

As for the Rating, it did not go to me unfortunately, it was posted to the other expert.

For me to get the rating, you would have to post that information here stating so, for me to able and get the rating through our moderators.

CLICK HERE for a new link to the diagram
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade