AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade

My son has built a small (>600 sq foot) house on our farm.

My son has built a small (>600 sq foot) house on our farm. He had a 200 amp breaker panel installed to replace a old panel (apparently for a mobile home and the water well) installed on a pole under the meter before he started construction. (He is just out of the military and is building his house with money he saved, and will be living here while going to school, so he's trying to save money, but wants to do it right, so he can eventually add-on to the house). The electrician who reinstalled the power suggested that when he built the house, he should add another breaker box on the house, and leave the 200 amp service on the pole. The service on the pole has a 40 amp breaker going to a buried cable (no conduit) that runs to a water well about 125 feet away, and he added two 20 amp GFCI outlets in water-proof boxes on the pole we used to run tools while building his house. (He will have only one 230 v circuit in the house, for an electric dryer, A/C will be 115 "window units") So my question is "should we install another breaker box on the house 75 feet away and run cable to it, or have the one under the meter removed and run 200 amp service at the house? If we use a second breaker box, what size should we use, and what is the advantage (if any) for leaving the box on the pole?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

AssuredElectrical :

Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical :

The needs inside the house will dictate what type of power is used and the panel size. Any idea of what all will be needed at the house?

AssuredElectrical :

Will it remain 600 sqft? Or will there be additions?

Customer:

Lights in bedroom, living room, 1 bathroom, kitchen, and laundry room. 3 ceiling fans. 1 or 2 convenience outlets in each room. Plus one 230 v circuit for clothes dryer. There will eventually be an addition, probably eventually reaching 2000 sq ft, adding central air, but heat, cooking etc, will remain on gas (propane).

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, thanks.

AssuredElectrical :

Since there are going to be additions to the house in the future, it is best to clear it all up now and be ready with no changes later in my opinion

AssuredElectrical :

I would install a main breaker only at the pole and run a line to the house for a 200 amp panel

AssuredElectrical :

Do it now and save time and energy later when trying to do additions

AssuredElectrical :

There is no advantage of the one at the pole, unless it cuts the well wire length to a considerable amount, a short cut?

AssuredElectrical :

Other wise, either run a new line to the well pump, or set a box at the pole and connect a new line from the house panel.

Customer:

OK, that makes more sense, I couldn't figure out why we'd have a "main" on both ends of the cable going to the house, but thought maybe I was missing something. I think my son might have misunderstood what he was told, but running from the pole to the house, and moving the service for the well to the house will save on cable for the 40 amp circuit, since the house is closer to the well.

AssuredElectrical :

Ok, that is even better if the house is closer

AssuredElectrical :

With the panel at the house now, you can do electrical additions/upgrades as you move along with no worries.

Customer:

Thanks. (No worries except digging trench and pulling wire in 100 degree/09% humidity Texas weather instead of sitting and chatting on computer!)

Customer:

Make that 90% humidity!

AssuredElectrical :

I can understand that, not the easiest job on the trenches, thats why I always use a trenching machine personally

AssuredElectrical :

We have that humidity in GA as well many days

AssuredElectrical :

maybe not as hot, lol

AssuredElectrical :

You are very welcome,Glad to assist.

AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience: Contractor-40 Years in the ElectricalTrade