Tommy Tesla
Tommy Tesla, Electrical Technician
Experience:  E-1 Master Electrician. Specializing in Commercial ,Industrial, and Residential Wiring Applications.

I have an exterior decorative light column 5 feet tall with

I have an exterior decorative light column 5 feet tall with a 120v lamp on top. It is constructed of mortared concrete blocks with a stucco overcoat. The builder ran direct burial electrical cable up the column inside gaps in the concrete blocks, these gaps were then filled with concrete. So the direct burial cable is in direct contact with the concrete, there is no conduit inside the masonry to protect the cable. I'm certain this construction is contrary to code, but I have not found the exact section of the NEC that prohibits this, or which mandates use of conduit to route cable through concrete and prevent direct contact. Can anybody name the section and give me a quote from the section that definitively prohibits such a direct contact construction?

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer! My name isXXXXX am here to help you with all your electrical needs. If the contractor used Type UF cable then it is NOT permitted to be embedded in concrete. NEC 340.12 Uses Not Permitted, (8) Embedded in poured concrete, or aggregate, except where embedded in plaster as non heating leads where permitted in 424.43.

So, I am going to assume he used this type of wire, until you tell me otherwise, since it is the most common. You can check this by looking at the outer jacket of the wire and there will be a stamping of the Type. He should have used conduit as a sleeve through the column.

Hope all is well. Do you need any further assistance on your electrical question?