Rick, Master Electrician
Experience:  10 yrs as a electrician. Have my own company.

Im trying to connect a new pull-chain switch for a ceiling

I'm trying to connect a new pull-chain switch for a ceiling fan. The wires in the fan that were connected to the broken switch are braided wire (#10, I think). The connection points on the new switch (same as the original switch) are "stab" type. Trying to push fine threaded wire into the stab connections has been extremely frustrating, and after many tries I've not succeeded in effectively connecting all four wires. Is there some particular way to accomplish this?

Sparky : Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to answer any of your electrical questions.
Sparky : Usually you can twist the wire as tight as you can, then stab it in. But if that is not possible, you can get a short piece of solid wire and wire nut it to the stranded wire and stab that one in to the switch.
Customer: That sounds feasible. I think I'm capable of doing that. I had considered it, but wasn't sure about continuity resulting from the braided to solid connection. Adding the additional wire segments and twist connectors may make the assembly significantly more crowded. Hopefully I'll be able to stuff everything back into the fan unit. Thanks.
Sparky : Make sure you use very small wire nuts, and when you put the wires into the wire nut twist the stranded wire, and insert it just a little it before the solid so it makes a good connection. No problem. Please don't forget to rate. Thank you.
Customer: Will do. Thanks.
Just wanted to say thank you for the excellent rating. It is greatly appreciated. If you have any more electrical questions, please let me know. Here is my profile page. Thanks again.