Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

Hi, when changing a lightbulb in my ceiling light, I noticed

Hi, when changing a lightbulb in my ceiling light, I noticed that a good amount of the foil connected to the insulation was ripping, and so I ripped it out. Is it ok to use the ceiling light without the foil in place or do I need to replace it? If so, can I just replace the foil with aluminum foil / something at the hardware store, or do I need to replace the whole unit?

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. Just leave whatever is there in place. Many fixtures of earlier manufacturer are without the insulation are are still functional.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the answer Mike. With no foil in place do I need to be cautious about the bulbs I use--low wattage, energy savers etc?