Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

I have a customer with a 2-stage A/C compressor, #6s 60 amp

I have a customer with a 2-stage A/C compressor, #6's 60 amp breaker, RLA 37, LRA 145. Upon startup there is a heavy buzzing noise possibly coming from the breaker. Other than EMF hard at work, what else could this be? It is driving my customer crazy...please help!!
Regards,
Mike G.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. The wire and breaker are sized correctly. Check the jaws of the breaker for signs of arcing. They often fail there and a bad connection would cause the buzzing due to a voltage drop.
One more possibility is that the unloader valve isn't allowing the heads to not have a head pressure and it make the motor start harder.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will pass on the uploader valve info to customer's A/C tech. Other than that, breaker is only a couple of months old now and busbar appeared to be fine. Keep in mind noise was with old breaker and now again with new breaker. Could the breaker be being pushed to trippage point causing the buzzing noise? Obviously, the LRA's of 145 has to be partly to blame. What do you think?

A high head pressure caused by a bad unloader valve makes the amperage increase. The noise is the breaker getting ready to trip. If it doesn't and the compressor starts, then it is overcoming the high head.There should be a WOOSH of air when te compressor stops, if not the valve is stuck or shot.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will review and discuss with customer and A/C tech and I am very grateful for the valuable information. Thank you! Might be contacting you again in near future to continue the topic.

Regards,

Mike G.

Electrical Contractor

Palm Beach County, Florida

You're welcome.