Kevin
Kevin, Master Electrician
Experience:  15 yrs field experience with 11 yrs as self-employed contractor specializing in home repair\upgrades
18324022

buying a house where the electrical wires were cut at the box

buying a house where the electrical wires were cut at the box do I need to rewire the whole house
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Kevin :

Hello, and welcome to JA!!

Kevin :

This house has had vandalism?

Customer:

yes it was they were trying to steel the box I think this is what it looks like

electrical box
Full Size Image

Kevin :

I have quite a bit of experience with this

Customer:

Great what should I do

Kevin :

The wires can be brought into junction boxes above the panel and extended back into it

Kevin :

however, it looks like some of them are missing

Kevin :

they may have been taken out

Customer:

No all the wires are there I traced them all back to the origins

Customer:

but I didn't know if I needed to have the house rewired or if it could be salvaged

Kevin :

As long as all the wires are there, you can install junction boxes above the panel, then reconnect new wires to the breaker box

Kevin :

BUT

Kevin :

You need to be VERY careful and inspect the rest of the house for damage.

Kevin :

I cant stress that enough. You need to visually inspect every exposed wire in the basement and attic, and anywhere else that wiring is exposed

Customer:

I am in the process of doing that now we are tearing out most of the walls in the and we also have to do the plumbing

Customer:

Thanks for the advice I am suppose to meet with a few electricians this week. I just need to get some advise before I talked to them.

Kevin :

Please dont forget to rate my service, and thanks for using JA!!

Kevin, Master Electrician
Experience: 15 yrs field experience with 11 yrs as self-employed contractor specializing in home repair\upgrades