Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector

Hi I have 4 Hampton Bay Windward iv52-in model #26623 fan 2

Customer Question

Hi I have 4 Hampton Bay Windward iv52-in model #26623 fan
2 are working fine 2 are just slowly rotating never mine what speed
you set the remote.Regards Ricky.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 years ago. name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!

Can you provide me with some additional information on your ceiling fans and then I will be able to provide some suggestions? Troubleshooting your fan problem will be a process of elimination. There are 4 possibilities that are causing the problem and we will need to narrow it down.

1) Are these (2) two separate fans and each are controlled by a remote control unit? Both fans are identical models? How about the other 2 fans, you mentioned that you have 4 of them? Are they all identical models? If all identical, I assume the other 2 fans work OK?

2) Do you have a wall switch connected to each fan to turn them ON or OFF or are they only remote controlled?

3) Were the fans previously working correctly using the remote control unit? Do both fans have the identical problem?

4) Any recent electrical work been performed? Swapping out wall switches or nearby receptacles?

5) Do either of the fans have a light kit installed? If so, does the light work OK using the remote control unit?

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 years ago.

1) It is possible that the capacitors wired to the fan motor have become faulty and need replacement.

Capacitors increase the overall starting and running torque for electric motors. The capacitor is electrically connected to the motor windings through two separate wires. When electrical power is applied, the capacitor acts like a battery to give an electrical boost to the ceiling fan motor. Most ceiling fan capacitors are 1/2- to 3/4-inch in diameter and 1 1/2 to 2 inches in length. Ceiling fan capacitors reside under the main cover of the ceiling fan housing.

2) Let me know if you still require assistance on your fans and I'll be happy to walk you thru the process.............Thanks.....................Kevin!