Alex
Alex, Master Electrician
Experience:  Owner of independent electrical contracting company. Licensed Electrical Contractor in CT.
33304076

I have a hunter fan with light. There is no remote. I had

I have a hunter fan with light. There is no remote. I had a bulb burn out and when I went to take it out, it flashed and all four lights went out. The fan works but now the lights won't work. Any ideas?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Alex replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Thank you for posting on www.justanswer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help you.

1.Did you open bottom part of fan ( light kit ). The part where bulbs sockets are attached to?

2. Do you have volt meter with two probes?

3. Do you have separate switch for lights or you only have one switch for both?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I opened the bottom and I have a volt meter. I have one switch with two draw strings on the fixture. The fan is about a year old.

Expert:  Alex replied 1 year ago.
There should be 2 black wires coming out of pull chain switch and few white wires spliced to each other . Is that correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, Alex. My name is XXXXX XXXXX to meet you.

Expert:  Alex replied 1 year ago.
Nice to meet you Bob.
Please put one probe of tester on the splice of white wires and another to each black wire coming out of the pull chain.
Let me know if you get 120v reading.
Expert:  Alex replied 1 year ago.
I assume one of the black wires are splice with other black wires going to light sockets, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, and the other black wire goes to a wire nut attached to a small white wire that goes to a small fuse-type box.

Expert:  Alex replied 1 year ago.
So do you have voltage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nope.

Expert:  Alex replied 1 year ago.
Pull the chain and see if anything changes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried both black wires and pulled the chain with both and nothing.

Expert:  Alex replied 1 year ago.
You said one of the black wires is connected to some kind of fuse box. Is it concealed box or can be opened? Of yes shut the switch off and open the box and see of there is a fuse.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, it is an small almost clear box measuring about 3/4" by 1\2" and about 1/8th thick. It has the numbers: 59 R 130

C RO3 28189

Expert:  Alex replied 1 year ago.
Bob, where is the wire coming out from other side of that box going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is a pink wire that goes to a wire nut with a black wire with a white stripe that goes the connection that plugs in the whole assembly.

Expert:  Alex replied 1 year ago.
Lets check voltage there. Put one probe under wire nut ( pink, black ) and another probe on white wires. Tell me of you have 120v.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, we do.

Expert:  Alex replied 1 year ago.
So the problem is that box. I guess there is a fuse in there. I know one website www.eceilingfans.com they have phone number as well. Call them and see if they have that part .

Let me know , I will be waiting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am at the web site and it looks like they will have what I need. I have to take the switch apart to determine the pattern and then order it. Thanks, Alex

Expert:  Alex replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome Bob. Let me know if I can help more.

please consider rating my answer when satisfied as its the only way I get paid my share of your payment.
Alex, Master Electrician
Experience: Owner of independent electrical contracting company. Licensed Electrical Contractor in CT.