Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

Is an outlet considered part of branch circuit wiring?

Hello.....my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!

1) Yes, per the 2011 National Electrical Code, an outlet is defined and considered any box whether a switch box, wall receptacle, ceiling receptacle, lighting fixture, or appliance that has protruding wires from such box.

Here is the actual definition from the code book in Article 100 Definitions:

Outlet: A point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment.

2) All circuit breakers or fuses within an electrical panel are considered as branch circuits with the exception of a double pole circuit breaker that feeds a sub-panel. Sub-panel circuit breakers are called feeders since they feed into another downstream panel.

Hope this helps.........If you have any additional questions, let me know and I'll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don't forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at:http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician
..........Thanks..............Kevin!