Rich
Rich, Master Electrician
Experience:  Over 35 years residential, commercial, industrial wiring, install, troubleshoot, service, maintain
5098113

I want to run electrical service to a small house. Electrical

I want to run electrical service to a small house. Electrical pole is about 300' from the house. Plus burial length and run into the house etc I calculate the total distance to be 350'. 200 amp service, 4/0 4/0 2/0 aluminum burial cable. I'm concerned about the distance and voltage drop. Is the cable sufficient for the distance? will I run into power shortage problems if A/C, lights, hotwater heater and normal electrical requirements of running house are all running at the same time?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Rich replied 1 year ago.

Rich : Hello. Rich here to help you today.
Customer:

can you see my original question? what other info do you need?

Rich :

The most affected would be any motors lights and heater type units will not be affected much by a loittle voltage drop

Rich :

give me a minute to calculate the drop

Customer:

4.6%?

Customer:

drop

Customer:

that gives me ~144 volts at the panel...correct? is that enough?

Customer:

114 volts, sorry

Rich :

looks like it would be about that .. I get almost 5%

Rich :

if it were mione I would consider upsizeing the wire

Customer:

what would you suggest?

Customer:

that's ultimately my question: what wire/cable should I use?

Rich :

most motors will probably tolerate that voltage ... 115 to 120 is the normal range of house service

Customer:

if it were your house, what would you use?

Rich :

I would use 250 kcmil aluminum

Rich :

another thought would be to have the power company run their service up to shorten the distance you are responsible for .. yes they will charge you .. but they will not be running that amount of wire ,, they will run their primary and then you switch to your service feeders for the last bit

Rich :

it may be worth an estimate from them

Customer:

I was considering that but they will charge to put a pole in and I would prefer to have it buried. Anything else I need to know? 250kcmil aluminum...can I just bury this or do I need conduit?

Rich :

should be in conduit .. did you ask if they would bury their feeders if you had the trench and conduit for them

Rich :

I am not familiar with the service in your area .. but have done this in Vermont

Customer:

S. Eastern MO. farming area...no inspections. But I will be living in this house and want to do it right...

Rich, Master Electrician
Experience: Over 35 years residential, commercial, industrial wiring, install, troubleshoot, service, maintain