Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

Ihabe a 1896 queene anne. Designed as sfh. Upgraded to use

Customer Question

Ihabe a 1896 queene anne. Designed as sfh. Upgraded to use as nursing home in 1960's.I see variable upgrades throughout as they incorporated call dystems sprinkler systems etc. There is a 200 amp entrance box. Downline I have found 3 fuse boxes. I can observe knob/tubing, bmx, romex, flying splices hidden junctions.....in otherwords a big old mess. Things were functional but now am losing sectors of power in the house traceing it seems fruitless. I was told about a safety survey vs. Typical mortgage type inspection. I want one. I don't know anything more to do than try to detach all wiring from all know boxes and pull (rewire) all new runs to code. How would I know all the old stuff is dead. Do I leave it in place. Run like hell from the whole project (not an option) I cannot find an electrician who eill evrn quote the survy/inspection. Too many different types of wiring is the usual reply. No code requirements in our rural area. I just don't want to kill us all. I am truly considering taking a vocte h ele trician course but am a disabledvet so proba ly won't meet admission standards. Any ideas? Can Ijust rewire a room at a time safely. Any helpful advice is most appreciated. Thanks in advance for anything you can tell me. Victoria
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Jason :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Jason :

This does sound like a case that calls for a complete rewire.

Jason :

To determine whether a wire is de-energized, you can simply place a pocket tester near it, and it will beep and light up if power is present.

Jason :

Do you need to see a link to that type of tester? A more appropriate name is "non-contact voltage detector".

Jason :

As for finding someone to help you... if you trust Craigslist, that may be the way to go. There are many out of work electricians advertising on that site. I suspect most of them would be willing to work for a very fair rate.

Jason :

If you choose to go that route, I would definitely ask for references first.

Jason :

Another site that lists reputable contractors is Angie's List. They screen their contractors before allowing admittance to their site.

Jason :

If this were a project you were planning to tackle on your own, there are plenty of experienced electricians here at Just Answer who would be happy to help with advice and guidance.

Jason :

However, it doesn't sound like that's your intent, which is why I recommended sources for finding experienced help.

Jason :

Another site you could contact is Home Advisor.com.

Jason :

They also list contractors in all phases of home repair and improvement.

Jason :

Rewiring a room at a time is a good way to go. If you are going to do that, I would not mix lighting power with outlet power.

Jason :

I should ask whether it will stay in use as a nursing home, as that involves a whole new set of Codes that wouldn't apply to a single family dwelling.

Jason :

It doesn't appear the chat is loading properly. Are you able to see this text?

Jason :

I will change the question format from chat to q/a, which is more like a message board. That way, I'll know for sure you are able to view my replies.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.