Rick
Rick, Master Electrician
Experience:  10 yrs as a electrician. Have my own company.
69082490

I have an existing bathroom with a 3-pc panel housing a light

I have an existing bathroom with a 3-pc panel housing a light switch above the mirror, a timer switch to control the fan time it runs after leaving the bathroom and the third space is a double plug. the box has a total of six (6) electrical lines into it.

The double plug is separate from the other three components so I am only dealing with four (4) electrical lines in, ALL the whole wired are grouped in one twist connector as are the ground wires, I am having trouble as I have the light switch wprking fine but am having an issue with the exhaust fan either not working or staying on constantly. I can send a pic of the box wiring if it helps. Cheers

Sparky :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to answer any of your electrical questions.

Sparky :

A picture would be the best and very helpful.

Customer:

I will send a few pics in a minute.

Sparky :

Sounds good.

Customer:

Full Size Image

Sparky :

The first thing we need to do is find which one of those wires is your incoming power. Do you have a voltage tester?

Customer:

New Timer switch has three wires Green=Ground, Black=HOT, & Red=Load, and these are being splt between two of the Rhomex feeds maybe you can see in the pic.

Sparky :

I did see the pic. Do you have a voltage tester?

Customer:

No, but am able to define the Black wire that makes the fan go and the other black that makes the light on.

Sparky :

Have you had all those black wires take apart? Or is this the wires were when you opened the box?

Sparky :

Have you had all of those black wires taken apart? Or is this the way it was wired, when you opened it? This way I know which route we have to take to correct your issue.

Customer:

No they have all been apart multiple times . the next pic shows the labeled black wires that make the light go and fan go.

Customer:

Looks like I will have to postpone this as I have to leave, can we re-connect later?

Sparky :

Yes, just log back in and respond to this question do not start another question.

Customer:

OK will do and I can provide more info, once focused on the issue. Cheers

Sparky :

Well, I'll go ahead and explain what you need to do when you find out which is your power line. Once you know which is your power line touch it to each of the other black wires one at a time. Then label which one turns on your fan, and which one turn on your light. At this point you will know which wire is your power wire, and which turn on the fan, and which turns on your light. If you have any black wires that don't seem to do anything put it together with the power. The wire labeled hot needs to go to your power also. The load wire needs to go to the wire that controls the light. The pigtail coming from your power will go to the switch as it seems to be in the picture, and the switch that controls the fan will go to the other terminal on that switch. Basically you will have power to each switch. They share the same power source. This is why they are pig tailed together. Also on each switch you will have the switch leg, which is the black wire going to either the fan or the light. You shouldn't have a problem, but if you do, let me know and we can continue. Please rate my service. If you need further assistance I'll be here for you. I hope I have provided excellent service for you.

Customer:

thanks Sparky, I was able to get it fixed, all goos thanks to your efforts.