Rick
Rick, Master Electrician
Experience:  10 yrs as a electrician. Have my own company.
69082490

I have an existing fan with a light in a bedroom. One switch

I have an existing fan with a light in a bedroom. One switch controls both the light and fan which means you use the chain to turn the fan or light off if you don't want both on.

There are two wires to the switch. I bought a double switch to split the fan from the lights.

Both wires have black, white, ground. Neither wire has a red line.

How do I install this? Will it work?

Sparky :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to answer any of your electrical questions.

Sparky :

At the fan box, where the fan is mounted to, how many wires are there, and what colors are they?

Customer:

It's an existing fan install. I don't have the fan itself apart.

Sparky :

You would need to take the canopy off of the fan to verify, but more than likely you will not be able to with what you currently have. Your best bet would be to buy a universal remote control, if you want to control them separately.

Customer:

I see 2 new wires run into a new outlet box when they installed the fan. Each wire has a white, black and ground only.

Customer:

Is this because they did not install a wire with a red, hot?

Sparky :

Exactly. Normally you would have a black red white, and ground in one romex for switching individually.

Customer:

How do you install a universal remote?

Sparky :

Give me a few minutes and I will get something together for you, to make it simple.

Customer:

thanks

Sparky :

Please don't forget to rate, and if there are further questions please let me know. Thank you.

Customer:

Thanks for you assistance.....

Sparky :

No problem

Just wanted to say thank you for the excellent rating. It is greatly appreciated. If you have any more electrical questions, please let me know. Here is my profile page. Thanks again. The bonus is greatly appreciated.

http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-electricianforhire/