Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

Installing a light fixture. Fixture has 1 black and 1 white

Customer Question

Installing a light fixture. Fixture has 1 black and 1 white wire. Coming from wall is 3 black and 2 white wires. I connected all black wires together and all the white wires together. Light goes on but will not turn off? What am I doing incorrectly
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Alex replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Thank you for posting on www.justanswer.com. My name is Alex and I'm here to help .

You said 3 black and 2 white wires, there should be same amount of black and white. Can you double check?

Do you have volt meter with two probes or any type tester ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Alex, Double checked. There are two holes in the wiring box. Though1 hole, 2 Black and 1 White holes are coming through. The other hole has 1 black and 1 white coming through. So there are a total of 5 wires coming from the wall. # black and 2 White

Expert:  Alex replied 3 years ago.
1.Do you have volt meter with two probes?

2. It's really strange to have 2 white and one black coming from one hole unless the wiring is done with conduit.

3. Did you disconnect the wires or you just disconnect ok light wires ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not have volt meter. I disconnected an old fixture which had 4 wires, 2 black and 2 white and am replacing it with this new fixture which has 1 black and 1 white

Expert:  Alex replied 3 years ago.
Do you remember to which wires were wires from light spliced to?
Expert:  Alex replied 3 years ago.
We will need the tester to see which set of white and black is hot. Can you borrow one?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I can go buy one if I have to . I would rather not

Expert:  Alex replied 3 years ago.
It will be very hard without tester. Let me opt out and see if other expert have a way to do it without tester.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Figured it out. Got it to work. Thanks for all your help.

Expert:  Alex replied 3 years ago.
Great. Have good weekend