Rick
Rick, Master Electrician
Experience:  10 yrs as a electrician. Have my own company.
69082490

I have wired a new receptacle into a circuit with a light switch.

I have wired a new receptacle into a circuit with a light switch. I can't use the receptacle right now unless the light switch is on. How do I bypass the switch? right now I put the black wire from the new receptacle into one of the terminals on the switch. There are two other circuits coming into the light switch box and those twoblack wires are pigtailed together with the pigtail connected to the other terminal on the switch.

If I tie in my receptacle circuit into this pigtail instead of putting it into the switch, then there is only one wire going into the switch.

Sparky :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to answer any of your electrical questions.

Sparky :

Connect the receptacle black wire to the wire nut that is holding all the other black wires together. This way you still leave the power wire going to the switch as well.

Sparky :

The white wire you alrady have connected to the other white wires in the switch box correct

Sparky :

'?

Customer:

Ok, but that means that only one wire is connected to the switch, right?

Sparky :

No.

Sparky :

All you are doing is adding the receptacle wire to the black wires that are bundled together in a wire nut.

Sparky :

Or did you connect the receptacles to the actual light fixture box?

Customer:

Right now the black wire from the receptacle (which I connected to the circuit that the switch was originally connected to) is connected to the switch. I pulled the old wires to the switch into the new receptacle box and then ran a new set of wires from my new receptacle box to the switch box and attached the black to the switch and the white to the other whites. So if I take off the black from the switch, what do I replace it with so that the switch gets two wire?

Sparky :

We need to simplify this. Did the existing switch control a light, or a receptacle?

Customer:

A light

Sparky :

So you should've had 2 wires on the switch to begin with. The receptacle you want on all the time correct?

Customer:

Yes, that's correct. Originally, I think there were two black wires connected to the switch. One from the pigtailed black wires and one that I pulled to install my new receptacle and then replaced.

Sparky :

You need to put that other wire back on. Your wire to your receptacle just needs to get wire nutted with the rest of the blacks.

Sparky :

I'll explain it. Your pigtailed blacks are your power source. So on your switch you need your power source on one terminal, and on your other terminal you have your power out, which would be the black wire going to your light.

Customer:

So that sounds like I need to run another set of wires from the receptacle by pigtailing them to the receptacle wires and then attaching that new black to the fixture and the old black to the rest of the blacks in the fixture box. Sounds like there is no way to bypass without a totally separate set of black/white/ground. I can do that.

Sparky :

Great. That is what needs to be done.

Customer:

OK. Thanks.

Sparky :

Please rate. Thanks4

Sparky :

Hello, wanted to see if you have taken care of your issue. If so please rate my service. Thank you for your time.

Customer:

Sparky provided good service.

Sparky :

Thank you.