Kevin
Kevin, Master Electrician
Experience:  15 yrs field experience with 11 yrs as self-employed contractor specializing in home repair\upgrades

I installed my hunter ceiling fan with remote. The fan works

Customer Question

I installed my hunter ceiling fan with remote. The fan works properly with the remote control but the light switch's don't cut off power to the fan. Is that normal?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Kevin :

Hi, and welcome to JA!!

Kevin :

Did you have 2 switches that controlled the light and fan before you installed the remote?

Kevin :

Or was there no fan there before?

Customer:

Yes, 2 switches that controlled the fan

Kevin :

And now neither of them turns off the fan and light?

Customer:

correct they don't turn it on or off but the remote works with all functions

Kevin :

In the ceiling box, you had a black, white, red, and ground, correct?

Kevin :

1 of each

Customer:

I had a black, black with blue tape and a white. No ground in the box.

Customer:

one of each, 3 wires

Kevin :

What I usually suggest in this situation is to get a wall switch that can control both the fan and light

Kevin :

We can get it so that one of the wall switches disables the fan and light, and the other will do nothing, or you can get a wall switch that will control the light and fan just as the remote do

Customer:

with the old fan the wall switch did control the fan and light. The switches are on different sides of the room so it could be turned on from each entrance.

Kevin :

Ah, so one switch on each side of the room, not two in one location

Customer:

correct

Kevin :

OK, so in the ceiling box you connected the white from the remote unit to the white in the ceiling?

Customer:

Yes, sorry.

Kevin :

The black that said "line in" was connected to what?

Customer:

I connected the white to white and the black to the black and black with blue tape

Customer:

black and black with blue tape

Kevin :

Ok. The black into the remote unit needs to be connected to ONE of the black wires in the ceiling, not both

Customer:

Ok, does it matter which one?

Kevin :

I can't be sure. You will need to try one and see what works, simply cap off the other one

Customer:

ok, let me try that quickly

Customer:

Ok, I did black to black. Black with blue tape is capped. It didn't change, should I try the other one? Is one a constant hot and is that normal?

Kevin :

Yes. One should stay hot all the time, the other should work from the switches

Kevin :

I kinda suspected the one with blue tape would work from the switches

Customer:

Ok, so that did work. Why is the constant hot in the box? What is it's purpose if it's just capped off?

Kevin :

It was installed so that the fan could work whether the light was on or not. You would use the chain to control the fan and the switches to control the light. It was probably that way at one time

Customer:

Oh, Ok. Yes your right the fan did work without the light before and the switch didn't turn the fan off/on. So, with the switches on either side of the room when they are both up or down the power is on but if one is up and one down the power is off. Seems like that should be the opposite. Does that matter or is it just aesthetics?

Kevin :

Those are 3 way switches. They are designed so that either one that is flipped changes the position of the light. Sometimes both are up and the switch is off, sometimes both are down and its on. It just depends on which direction they were installed. But either way is correct

Customer:

Can I change that by swapping the wires on the switch?

Kevin :

its easier to just flip the switch upside down

Customer:

lol....ok. Thank you for all your help I really appreciate it!!

Kevin :

Please dont forget to rate my service, and a bonus is always appreciated

Kevin :

thanks again for using JA!!

Customer:

I will thanks

Kevin, Master Electrician
Experience: 15 yrs field experience with 11 yrs as self-employed contractor specializing in home repair\upgrades
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Have a good day!