Steve G., Electrical Engineer
Experience:  27 years in Electrical Engineering, designing electrical plans and specifications.
329447

Hello. Is the following (a) safe, and (b) legal? We have

Hello. Is the following (a) safe, and (b) legal?

We have existing light switches in the kitchen. We are thinking about adding undercabinet lighting. We have not fully decided on the particular undercabinet lighting yet, but I believe all of the options we would look to would be hardwired LED, with the driver hardwired to our normal 15 AMP circuit using 14 AWG wire.

I would like to have an electrician rough in the wiring for the undercabinet, and leave it with wirenuts in a junction box or other container simply to have it ready to go when I do pick up out the specific lights, and ready in case I want to complete running the wiring myself from the driver through the cabinets and to the lights themselves.

So, what would need to happen is the following
(a) we would run 2 wire from the existing switch box to the new junction box (for future use),
(b) at the switch box, (i) the black from the 2 wire would be pigtailed with the live hot, (ii) the white wire from the 2 wire would be pigtailed with the other neutrals, and
(iii) the ground from the 2 wire would be connected with the other grounds in the switch box,
and
(c) at the junction box, the black, white and ground (all the wires) would all be encased in their own separate wirenuts (one wire for black, one for white, one for ground) and wrapped separately in electrical tape.
(d) the junction box itself woujld be in a kitchen cabinet.

With all that information, is it safe? Is it legal to leave it that way for future use?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Unless I am understanding this wrong, what you are describing is normal practice. Just wire nut up the tails and put a cover plate on the box. This is no different to removing a light fixture and putting a cover on the outlet box.

The box must be accessible - obviously...to do the final connections but after that, it can't be hidden behind the cabinet. It must be accessible inside the cabinet.

Look sgood to me.

Good luck

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX helpful, and the analogy to removing the light fixture makes sense. One other item, while I'm pretty sure the driver can be hardwire, if it doesn't have screw terminals then it will be need to be plugged in. Is it legal to place a recepticle inside the cabinet?

Thanks again for your prompt response.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, there is nothing wrong with fixing a plug to the end of your string of lights and plugging it in to a receptacle. And the receptacle can be inside the cabinet.

Think of Christmas Tree bulbs :)

Regards

Steve

Steve G., Electrical Engineer
Experience: 27 years in Electrical Engineering, designing electrical plans and specifications.