Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector

What is involved in adding a 120 volt with a dedicated 20 amp

What is involved in adding a 120 volt with a dedicated 20 amp circuit in an area of our basement that doesn't have many outlets? Do you have to run a homerun all the way to the box? name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!

1) Depends upon what your wiring scheme will be? If using Romex, then yes, you will need to run a home run 12/2 NM (with ground) cable back to the main electrical panel.

2) If you have existing metal conduit nearby and that conduit is already a home run to the panel and there is sufficient space to accommodate (2) two additional 12 AWG copper wires, then you can attempt to install the 1 hot and 1 neutral wire into the existing conduit. If the conduit is filled and you wish to install new conduit, then a home run back to the panel will be required. 1/2" EMT would be required.

3) If the basement is unfinished, you need GFCI protection on either the 20 amp dedicated breaker or the 1st receptacle will need to be a GFCI type.

4) All receptacles need to be tamper resistant types.

Hope this helps.........If you have any additional questions, let me know and I'll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don't forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at:

1) It is recommended that no more than (10) ten duplex receptacles be wired to a 20 amp breaker.

2) Also recommended to keep receptacles and lighting on their own dedicated circuits.

3) If you need additional info as to how to wire-up your dedicated 20 amp receptacle circuit, just let me know and I'll be more than happy to assist you.................Thanks...............Kevin!