Tommy Tesla
Tommy Tesla, Electrical Technician
Experience:  E-1 Master Electrician. Specializing in Commercial ,Industrial, and Residential Wiring Applications.
73144829

I have turn off the heat from the thermostat but the electric

I have turn off the heat from the thermostat but the electric heater stays hot to the touch on the sides ahd the duct leading out
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Tommy Tesla replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer! My name isXXXXX am here to help you with all your electrical needs. Do you have a voltage meter and are you comfortable working with live electricity?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok with electricity no voltage meter

It sounds like the thermostat may be no good. You will need a voltage tester to test the load side of the thermostat. When the stat is off or not calling for heat you need to make sure the load side of the wires are not getting any voltage. If they are then you have a bad thermostat and will need replacement. Maybe you can borrow one from someone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I disconnect the thermostat but it did not solve the problem

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
You will need a voltage tester to continue on with me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok I will get one and get back to you

Excellent. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I got a voltage tester never used one before

Can you tell me make and model so I can tell you how to properly use it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

make Wesco electric model 1725-bru-240v-60hz-1-bh

Are you able to get a reading with the meter? You will have to open up the heat and take a reading of the wires to see if there is voltage present. There is voltage somewhere making the heater turn on or stay warm. Even if it is only getting half the voltage say 120 volts there is a problem somewhere. Start taking everything apart and tell me what the voltage is on the wires, how many wires and their locations.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I woke up and touch the sides of the furnace and there isn't any heat coming out ?

Have you been able to check for voltage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Tommy I put in a new thermostat and the heat turns off right away when I turn it off but the fan stays on for a minute or two is that normal? If it is thanks for all your help. also should I shut the furnace down for the summer? Thanks again and I will give you an excellent review when I hear from you.

Yes that is normal. I always shut my furnace off for the summer. I am happy I was able to help you.
Tommy Tesla, Electrical Technician
Experience: E-1 Master Electrician. Specializing in Commercial ,Industrial, and Residential Wiring Applications.